Clutch finally hurtin'

ChrisR750

Registered
Well, after 3040 miles and once a week trips to the track running high 9's, my '06's stock clutch finally gave up the ghost. I thought that was pretty good though, considering the hard riding. What kind of mileage have you guys who drag got out of your stock clutches?

IMG_0430.JPG

I got almost 10k outta mine.

I would say 200 passes at the track and 3k miles with boost
super.gif

I doubt it is hurt too badly. Mine wasn't. Mine started slipping after 8500 miles and 100-120 passes. Pull it apart and check it with a micrometer or a caliper. The outside fiber and inside fiber are ticket. There will be 9 steels, 2 are .010â€￾ thicker than the other 7. Have all the steels bead blasted. Check for thickness. From what I can find out the optimum stack height is 1.95-2.00 with most preferring to get as close to 2.00 as possible without going over. The service manual shows using up to 4 thick steel plates. There is no reason you can’t use all thick steels if you don’t exceed .200 totals.

Springs, buy another set. The stock ones in mine dropped about .050-.060â€￾ in height. Putting them on a spring pressure checker and checking them at installed height showed a drop of 4-6lbs per spring. 30lbs total. I think that is where I started slipping.

I built a new stack to put in mine. I intend on pulling it and checking it every 40-50 passes now and putting in a fresh set of springs.

Let me know if you need part numbers or specs.

so a newbie question - dont mind please
How much would it cost to replace the clutch ? .Brekdown of components with prices would help.

(nfsnfs @ Oct. 15 2006,10:40) so a newbie question - dont mind please
How much would it cost to replace the clutch ? .Brekdown of components with prices would help.
Not counting shipping, you are looking at around $200 for parts. New steels, fibers, and springs.

But doing a clutch rebuild isn't really an easy thing, is it? I've taken my bikes to Johnny at Exoticycle in Sarasota, because I know he knows what he's doing...Is messing with your clutch really a DIY project? Especially if you're trying to pound it in the 1/4? I'm not saying I wouldn't try it, it's just that I always thought it was over my head, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

It actually is pretty easy, You need a dial caliper, a feeler gauge, and some basic hand tools. I had mine apart in about 20 minutes at the track last month.

Back