Clutch chatter on takeoff

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Whenever I take off from a stop at 3500-4500 RPMs the clutch makes a chattering sound and feels like it is not engaging smoothly at all. Is this normal? The bike was ridden pretty sedately for the 2600 miles it had before I bought it, is the clutch worn or damaged in some way? Is there something I can do or replace to fix this? If I don't do something about it, will it break something if I launch it hard?
rock.gif
headscratch.gif

dunno.gif

Lean it over on the kickstand and take the cover off. check the bolts that hold it together. no oil will come out, just a few drops from the cover/gasket.

Change your hyd clutch fluid.

You can also buy the clutch spring kit designed to eliminate clutch chatter. Contact StreetNTrack or one of the other site sponsor vendors, I'm sure they'll have the kit on the shelf.

unless you're launching why take off at so many rpms? I let the clutch out before even giving it any gas when riding normaly. Try that maybe?

So has anyone here had this same problem before and fixed it? C'mon, mine can't be the ONLY one...

banghead.gif

(Shibumi @ Sep. 22 2006,22:28) So has anyone here had this same problem before and fixed it? C'mon, mine can't be the ONLY one...
Mine did the same thing when drag racing it. Combination of Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil and Brock's ultra clutch mod fixed it. I really have to abuse it at the track to see it now. The cushion is next for me.

What oil are you using. I'd try the Mobil 1.

(Professor @ Sep. 23 2006,08:41)
(Shibumi @ Sep. 22 2006,22:28) So has anyone here had this same problem before and fixed it? C'mon, mine can't be the ONLY one...
Mine did the same thing when drag racing it. Combination of Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil and Brock's ultra clutch mod fixed it. I really have to abuse it at the track to see it now. The cushion is next for me.

What oil are you using. I'd try the Mobil 1.
Hey Rick!

Mobil MX4T, just changed to it at my first oil change since buying the bike. Only had dino in it about 3000 miles.

So either launch below 3000, or replace some clutch parts? Will launching it chattering break anything?

Back