clunking noise - front end

CopMagnet5oh

Registered
when i go over potholes or onto small curbs ( 2" high ) i hear a clunking noise, my whole bike was taken apart, so i know its not just something loose or hitting something. forks arent leaking, but the bike's got 27k miles, its a '99.

can something be off inside the forks ? because thats the only explanation i can think of.

thank you.

- Kons

like i said, everything is tight on the front end, as i took the bike apart about 3 times and noise is still the same.

steering head bearings ... hmm, interesting

It is recommended to change the oil in the forks every 5,000 miles.
If you haven't done that yet, it is far past time.
This will rule out the forks being the problem - you can inspect them when they are apart.
Good Luck!

my brake pads clunk a little, can shake the bars hard or hit a bump and we found it is coming from both caliper's pads, drives me insane.

my brake pads clunk a little, can shake the bars hard or hit a bump and we found it is coming from both caliper's pads, drives me insane.

???Somethin ain jiven, might wanna look at that a little closer. Sorry to ask stupid questions, but are they the right pads? When did the brakes start clunkin?

mine do that too , tried all different pads in it , still the same
like you say it is annoying

You may have a stuck piston in the caliper, or the caliper piston seal in backwards (if they were ever out).
If it is in a "normal" condition, the pistons will come out when the lever is applied and go back in just a smidge, when released, just so the pads are barely riding on the discs.
IMO any "clunking" at all is not a "normal" condition.
I would keep looking and find out what it is.
Again JMO.

Last edited:
my forks on my 01' were doing that around 29k and need to be redone. every bump i hit had a "bottom out" clunk.

I get the same clunk on the front end over bumps and such. Mine is an 02 with 40k. But I seem to have a never ending list of repairs on her... :poke:

My front pads used to clunk when I would hit a bump on my GSX-R 600. Once I narrowed it down to the pads and realized that it was just them clanking against the rotors when the brakes were not applied I was not too worried about it. Although, I did find a way to fix the problem and all was well after that.

I removed the calipers and pads from the housing. I cleaned the hell out of the calipers to ensure that all the brake dust and dirt were gone. Then I put a small ring of RTV sealant on the pistons and set the pads on top of them to let them settle. Once I had the pads in the calipers with RTV holding the pads to the pistons, I mounted them on the bike. Then, I squeezed the brake until the pads were firmly against the rotor as they would be during proper operation. I then put a zip tie on the brake lever to hold the pressure on the pads and let it sit over night.

This fixed my clanking pads problem and was easily reversible when you need to change the pads.

???Somethin ain jiven, might wanna look at that a little closer. Sorry to ask stupid questions, but are they the right pads? When did the brakes start clunkin?

Yep its the right pads, bought it new in 06 been doin it since I have had it. I have drove myself nuts tryin to fin out why but finally gave up after 13k miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

what did u do or change ?

i have an appt on friday to change the fork oil hopefully they will inspect the whole thing for me.
good idea to get them checked out with those miles on her. i was in the process of getting mine redone (springs and oil) but ended up selling the bike for the gen2.

Back