Clueless and oops!!!!

Wolfman

Registered
Ok guys. Need help. I am not new to the mechanic thing but I am new to the working on a bike thing. So to my problem. I did my 7k maintenance myself. It wasn't bad, and I also changed my rear brake pads. Clueless first: I swapped out my brake pads easy. It was a sinch. But when I went riding and tried to use them....nothing!!! I bled them and everything. I have no clue what I did (or didn't do). What's up?
rock.gif
? Now for the oops. Like I said I am no rookie mechanic. I worked on cars for years and I am a mechanic in the navy. I turn wrenches every day. So after I drained my oil I put my plug back in. So I got it finger tight and then put a wrench on it (see where I'm going with this). Tighten and then slip Stripped it.....$#!T So anyway. I tweaked it the best I could and got it down to a very slow drip. So my question is do you guys have any advice on how I can fix this without paying big bucks. Thanks guys.

Sounds like its time for a Heli coil!!!! Or replace the oil pan, you should be able to find one hear on the Org, or try ebay..
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Gonna get the Heli-coil today. So exactly how do I install it? I got the general idea but I want to do it right the first time so I want to make sure. Thanks guys. Oh and one more thing. Someone told me to put teflon tape around the plug but I didn't like the sound of that since it was going into my oil pan. But he said he has done it and its fine. But it just makes me uneasy. Thoughts?

ok i used to be a plumber run the heli coil first and after that you wont need the t tape. and i wouldnt use it in my oil pan either just sound good at all

Good news. The leak seems to be stopped and the bike stops!!!! I just didn't bleed them enough. It took me a whole thing of brake fluid to do it!!! Geez. Well after it was fixed I celebrated......Since I didn't have to take it easy any more I found the nearest straight and let 'er have it. Man, that thing is always a rush!!!!

congrats...and mental note...not to do things myself...still have that can of bolts from the duc

just a question on why you would be replacing the rear brakes at 7k. have you done the front yet? the rear are only supposed to do aprox. 10% of the stopping on a sport bike.

how do you all strip the oil pan bolt....i had mine for years and never stipped it.....are you tightening it too much or cross threading it? i just dont get it.....maybe im just not strong enough to over tighten mine
rock.gif

I do tend to be a little heavy on the rear...my bad habit
smile.gif
The bike already had 5k on it when I got it. So there is no telling how that guy's breaking was.

how do you all strip the oil pan bolt....i had mine for years and never stipped it.....are you tightening it too much or cross threading it? i just dont get it.....maybe im just not strong enough to over tighten mine
rock.gif
Sorry... I just had to show this pic of you...

I know I promised Iwouldn't ... But..

weakling__Medium_.jpg

just a question on why you would be replacing the rear brakes at 7k. have you done the front yet? the rear are only supposed to do aprox. 10% of the stopping on a sport bike.
did you just change the pads or did you do fluid as well

any time you do the pads, make certain the pump the brakes to get the caliper pistons to work.

first time i changed my fronts and didn't do that, i almost rearended a car....

Wow you will kill yourself if you pushed in the Calipers and drove away without checking any thing. when I get on the bike I roll it back and forth. hitting both brakes... but if you Bleed them you will have the pucks all the way out anyway..

Back