Clothing - what do you use?

kod3001

Registered
I'm starting plans to go with a mate to the Nurburgring (Germany) this summer, and just started thinking about some of the smaller details.

One of these being clothing.

In the colder months I wear armoured (non leather) jacket and trousers, decent boots etc.

In summer, I tend to wear Draggin jeans and a leather armoured jacket.

Neither of these seem ideal for touring. The Draggin jeans will soak through on the first sight of rain, the armoured (non leather) jacket and trousers are waterproof but probably too heavy for tearing round the Nurburgring.

I'm not really sure about full leathers as they're not waterproof, but thought about full leathers with some sort of over suit waterproof thingy.

So indecision reigns again... geez.

So what do you use? what do you recommend? Thanks.
smile.gif

If you ware a rain suit over your leathers in the summer (Iam assuming temps are 80 F +) you will be slow steamed just like a Lobster  
down.gif
. I suggest you by some aerostitch type suit because it has armor, pockets and is water proof  
idea.gif
. If it gets dirty, you just stand in the shower and use liquid dish washing soap to clean it  
smile.gif

Get some FroggToggs. The best light weight and most comfortable rain wear there is, I think...
And they breath very well, so no sweating...

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

David

Oh yea, to the above post...
Greetings Colonel...

<!--EDIT|Goldwanger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138312552 -->

I have been riding with a set of Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 combo for about a year now. Overall a good suit. I ususally ride with the entire suit as the jacket alone tends to inflate something fierce at speed.
Fit is a bit hit and miss. Partly my fault as I bought them a bit on the big size in the first place.
Water repellency is pretty good.
Weight is really high!
Ventillation is not a stong point.
Protection is pretty good.
Zippers are garbage.
For the money untouchable as far as I'm concerned. This set extended my riding season at least two months last year! Excellent ROI!

my leathers are pretty much water proof...

Water does leak in and make me look like I pee'd my pants if I get stuck in traffic or something in heavy rain.. but who cares.. leather is cool.

Most comfortable thing to wear for extended rides... and you dont' hafta pack much... shorts,, tshirts... undies, someme kinda shoes.. few pairs of socks...

your wearing the rest of your luggage.

I really do suggest going with non-perfed leather... it doesn't get wiggled around by the wind. And if it gets cold it's better than anything else out there... well excluding heated suits.

Late last season I purchased a jacket made by a Finnsh comapny called Rukka. I think there's only 2 or 3 dealers in the states that carry them. There are +'s and -'s though. +'s include very functional and well made. -'s would have to be price of admission. I got my jacket on sale and saved about $100.00 from a guy in Chicago who was moving his business to Canada. The outer shell is cordura aft and has removeable flexible armour inserts. The outer shell breathes freely. It has a removeable inner jacket with sleeves which is goretex. The Air Vantage inner jacket also has an inflateable airbladder in it to create dead airspace providing great insulation for colder weather. Another plus would be the inner jacket has an inner layer of Outlast, a phase change material that can wick away body heat and store it and re release it it back as body temp falls.They make matching pants, but the inner liner is goretex and Outlast,but doesn't have the air bladder. Again these aren't for everyone. The cost will likely drive off most. But if you can get over the sticker shock, I think you'd find it to be a wise investment. I've included a link to a place that sells Rukka. Click on the Rukka banner on the home page and look for the APR3 line...
link

Thanks for your recommendations. The stuff I wear at the moment is Frank Thomas - armoured textile stuff (colder months), similar I suppose to the Joe Rocket and Rukka stuff.

Point taken about the 'boil in the bag' scenario, I'm thinking a waterproof oversuit may not be such a great idea (in summer at least).

I may have to think about leathers again, perhaps with some sort of waterproof coating (waxy stuff?, something that won't kill the leather so to speak).

Late last season I purchased a jacket made by a Finnsh comapny called Rukka. I think there's only 2 or 3 dealers in the states that carry them. There are +'s and -'s though. +'s include very functional and well made. -'s would have to be price of admission. I got my jacket on sale and saved about $100.00 from a guy in Chicago who was moving his business to Canada. The outer shell is cordura aft and has removeable flexible armour inserts. The outer shell breathes freely. It has a removeable inner jacket with sleeves which is goretex. The Air Vantage inner jacket also has an inflateable airbladder in it to create dead airspace providing great insulation for colder weather. Another plus would be the inner jacket has an inner layer of Outlast, a phase change material that can wick away body heat and store it and re release it it back as body temp falls.They make matching pants, but the inner liner is goretex and Outlast,but doesn't have the air bladder. Again these aren't for everyone. The cost will likely drive off most.  But if you can get over the sticker shock, I think you'd find it to be a wise investment. I've included a link to a place that sells  Rukka. Click on the Rukka banner on the home page and look for the APR3 line...
                     link
YIKES! I see what you mean about the price. That airvantage bladder is pretty cool though. Aerostitch also sells a vest with that.

Back