Clothes Dryer Won't start

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, Any one know how to troubleshoot a clothes dryer? Here's what I know...
It was working fine, mom cleaned the lint trap (which is right below the start button) and now it won't even try to start... My thought is over the years, lint built up in the Start button causing a bad connection, but that's all I can really think of aside from the door safety switch (what prevents it from running with the door open) being broken... Any ideas?

The door has a little "prong" that sticks into a little hole in the door frame. There is a little lever in there which acts as a switch. The hard part is getting any access to it but if you can poke a wire to press that switch and then press the start button, at least you'll know.

Proceed from there.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Dec. 25 2006,12:13) The door has a little "prong" that sticks into a little hole in the door frame.  There is a little lever in there which acts as a switch.  The hard part is getting any access to it but if you can poke a wire to press that switch and then press the start button, at least you'll know.

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
A couple of "Brain Sturgeons" we have here
laugh.gif

Door safety switch...prong thingy
tounge.gif

Is it plugged in
rock.gif
Did you check the circuit breaker
rock.gif
Dryer usually has it's own breaker.

rock.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 25 2006,15:17)
(Wag @ Dec. 25 2006,12:13) The door has a little "prong" that sticks into a little hole in the door frame.  There is a little lever in there which acts as a switch.  The hard part is getting any access to it but if you can poke a wire to press that switch and then press the start button, at least you'll know.

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
A couple of "Brain Sturgeons"  we have here  
laugh.gif

Door safety switch...prong thingy  
tounge.gif

Is it plugged in
rock.gif
Did you check the circuit breaker
rock.gif
Dryer usually has it's own breaker.
No, I'm a Crockpot Scientist...

Yes, it's plugged in (Durrr)
tounge.gif

Yeppers, checked the Breaker.

rock.gif

tounge.gif

(Wag @ Dec. 25 2006,15:13) The door has a little "prong" that sticks into a little hole in the door frame.  There is a little lever in there which acts as a switch.  The hard part is getting any access to it but if you can poke a wire to press that switch and then press the start button, at least you'll know.

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
Checked the prongy thingy... It springs in and out, seems to work. I'll try and take it apart soon to see if a wire came loose.

Check the breaker in the electrical box, Check the pig tail were it mounts to dryer, if all ok door switch , start button , or the motor its self, if running but not heating overheat protecter or heating element, not to many parts to a dryer, I'm not a repair man but I did sleep in a Holliday Express last night

(yamahor @ Dec. 25 2006,12:20)
(Wag @ Dec. 25 2006,15:13) The door has a little "prong" that sticks into a little hole in the door frame.  There is a little lever in there which acts as a switch.  The hard part is getting any access to it but if you can poke a wire to press that switch and then press the start button, at least you'll know.

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
Checked the prongy thingy... It springs in and out, seems to work. I'll try and take it apart soon to see if a wire came loose.
Open er up and see if you have any reset buttons
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 25 2006,15:22)

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
wink.gif
Buttons?

Okay, do I press the red one labeled "Self Destruct: Do Not Press!!!"?

(Busa Dude @ Dec. 25 2006,15:21) Check the breaker in the electrical box, Check the pig tail were it mounts to dryer, if all ok door switch , start button , or the motor its self, if running but not heating overheat protecter or heating element,  not to many parts to a dryer, I'm not a repair man but I did sleep in a Holliday Express last night
Cool, I'll check those. Thanks for staying at Holiday Inn Express!
laugh.gif

(yamahor @ Dec. 25 2006,12:24)
(BA BUSA @ Dec. 25 2006,15:22)

Proceed from there.

--Wag--
wink.gif
Buttons?

Okay, do I press the red one labeled "Self Destruct: Do Not Press!!!"?
Yeah thats the one...........BOOM
tounge.gif

Auto post:

The member known as Yamahor will no longer be posting as he is in a full body cast thanks to listening to BA Busa... Gee Thanks BA Busa for ridding Hayabusa.org of its coolest most awesome-er-est member... You will be hearing from our lawyers.

if i cant get the washer or dryer started i ask her if she has been loseing weight
wow.gif

sorry pal no help here

Last time mine did this it was actually starting but the belt had broken that drives the drum -- new belt -- problem solved
they can actually be pretty complicated (timers overtemp sensors ect )
usually if its not a belt or a tripped breaker -- its cheaper to get a new one (or good used)

Also the electric socket itself may have a "Ground Fault Interrupt." Generally a little redsih looking button that even when tripped doesn't look like it. If you have one on the plug in the wall just depress the red button.

Also sometimes just unplugging it for a short time can reset any caps that may have overloaded.

Just a thought.

(Spike @ Dec. 25 2006,15:31) Also the electric socket itself may have a "Ground Fault Interrupt."  Generally a little redsih looking button that even when tripped doesn't look like it.  If you have one on the plug in the wall just depress the red button.

Also sometimes just unplugging it for a short time can reset any caps that may have overloaded.

Just a thought.
Cool. didn't think to check for the GFCI switch.

Back