Clostest I've come to a bad crash

BoostCreep

Registered
So, months ago a buddy of mine and I went to Colorado...

View attachment 1562346

We were heading down a very, VERY twisty mountain at the time and Chris (friend I was with) went to pass a slower moving Harley with not a whole lot of room. I've only had the bike for maybe a month at this point, I'm still not used to the weight, the position, and coming from a Triumph Speed Triple I just don't feel confident on the Hayabusa right now. The common sense thing for me to do would be to wait back a little until there was a better clearing and pass at that point, but I got on the throttle, hesitated for a second, and went for the pass. As I got behind the Harley he decides he doesn't want me to pass and guns it, doesn't do him much good but it makes me gain another 10mph before I can get in front and slow down for the corner. As soon as I make the pass I realize I am way out of my comfort zone, I'm going 90mph heading straight for the side of the mountain with almost no room to slow down. I work my way into the front brakes HARD, tap my rear and I'm scrubbing speed so quickly the rear end is starting to jump up on me as I tell Chris over the headset radio "I'm going down!" I make one last look back in my mirror, the Harley is about to go right into me, I look forward at where I'm going to land and decide if I'm going down, I'm going down sliding. I take the pressure off the brakes and enter the corner looking through it, dipping the bike to the side harder than I ever have before and rolling back onto the throttle to transfer a little weight.

To this day, I have no idea how I came out of that corner without going down. I had to remind myself in that situation the bike has more performance than I have talent, and it scared the hell out of me.

When I get home, I'm planning on going to a few rider school events and track days. I never want to put myself in that situation again, and I need to feel out this bike more.

That scenario plays itself out time and time again every season. Most who maintain their composure while doing their best to successfully complete the corner survive unscathed. Sadly, not all are successful.

Track days and training will build your confidence as well as your ability to successfully manage bad situations. The real key is making good choices "Choice, not Chance determines your destiny"!

As someone who has had the chance to do a few track days, it will make you a better rider. But not for the reason you may think. Yes, you will learn the limits of the bike, you will learn body position and lean angle. That does transfer to the street. But for me, it made me a better street rider because I no longer care about passing and being in a hurry.
I still pass, dont get me wrong, but I am much more able to enjoy the scenery and pass when I know for sure that I have the room and wont scare the other rider when I do pass. Take your time and only pass when you have plenty of room and time. I compare it to getting a knee down, I wanted so badly to accomplish this, and I did, but now that I have been to the track and can do it whenever I want, it is no so important on the street. I hope that makes sense.

twotone, I know what you mean. Back when I first bought a little Mustang I was tearing around the streets with it, the more and more I went to tracks the less and less I wanted to go fast in public. It just gets it out of your system. I knew I was putting myself in a bad situation when I went to pass, why I did it, I don't know.

twotone, I know what you mean. Back when I first bought a little Mustang I was tearing around the streets with it, the more and more I went to tracks the less and less I wanted to go fast in public. It just gets it out of your system. I knew I was putting myself in a bad situation when I went to pass, why I did it, I don't know.

I am glad you understand what I mean. It is hard to put into words. Cant say I havent done the same thing. A few years ago we were in Eureka and Cap was behind me. We were heading back to Point West and there was a decreasing radius right hander just out of town. I was going to fast, tired and hot, and just plain forgot. Cap knew for sure I wasnt going to make it and slowed down to round the corner to see us still in our lane and on the road. It was the first and last time I ever scraped plastic. I still dont know how I made it throught that turn, much less with riding two up. I just dont get in a hurry anymore.

Ya she's a heavy bike. I almost lost it coming down I-70 in the mountains west of Denver just below the tunnel. I had some guy in a beemer blocking me and I couldn't get around him. I got frustrated (1st mistake) and gassed it hard while snapping over (second mistake) to pass him on the right. My momentum carried me all the way to the outside of the turn which had tightened up just enough. I just said to myself, lean, lean, lean and slowly rolled off the throttle and made it around okay. Any gravel or sand and I would have gone down into the concrete median around 65 mph in fairly heavy traffic and probably not be writing this today. Seems frustration and impulse have been a factor an almost all close calls I've had so now I try to recognize that sooner and think it out before acting.

So, months ago a buddy of mine and I went to Colorado...

View attachment 1562347

We were heading down a very, VERY twisty mountain at the time and Chris (friend I was with) went to pass a slower moving Harley with not a whole lot of room. I've only had the bike for maybe a month at this point, I'm still not used to the weight, the position, and coming from a Triumph Speed Triple I just don't feel confident on the Hayabusa right now. The common sense thing for me to do would be to wait back a little until there was a better clearing and pass at that point, but I got on the throttle, hesitated for a second, and went for the pass. As I got behind the Harley he decides he doesn't want me to pass and guns it, doesn't do him much good but it makes me gain another 10mph before I can get in front and slow down for the corner. As soon as I make the pass I realize I am way out of my comfort zone, I'm going 90mph heading straight for the side of the mountain with almost no room to slow down. I work my way into the front brakes HARD, tap my rear and I'm scrubbing speed so quickly the rear end is starting to jump up on me as I tell Chris over the headset radio "I'm going down!" I make one last look back in my mirror, the Harley is about to go right into me, I look forward at where I'm going to land and decide if I'm going down, I'm going down sliding. I take the pressure off the brakes and enter the corner looking through it, dipping the bike to the side harder than I ever have before and rolling back onto the throttle to transfer a little weight.

To this day, I have no idea how I came out of that corner without going down. I had to remind myself in that situation the bike has more performance than I have talent, and it scared the hell out of me.

When I get home, I'm planning on going to a few rider school events and track days. I never want to put myself in that situation again, and I need to feel out this bike more.

I wonder what the Harley Rider was thinking as he watched you carve through that turn like an ace!!!

Glad to see your here to post. I complain about jackass harley riders at the gap all the time. Common road curtesy is to slow down and let someone pass you on the side. It seems like most harley riders lack this.

Some ppl are out there riding for the speed and challenge of the twisties and some just to feel the breeze through their hair. I understand that all don't ride fast but its my pet peeve is to have someone put along and not let you pass. But to just speed up only to be a jackass, he deserves a :punch: in the face!!

There are two parts to excecuting a proper pass. The pass itself, and the next turn. Failure to prepare for both will almost always result in pain. I've had a few close calls in that department, so now I look ahead before I go.

Glad you stayed upright. :thumbsup:

Glad to here you made it through everything OK. I had a close call like that once with my wife on the back and for the life of me it is very hard to get over. I would have never forgave myself if I would have hurt her or my bike. Since then I have slowed down a lot unless I am out on a good open road. I have to much time and effort in my bike to tear it up. Glad you got through it and be safe out there :thumbsup:

I think we have all been to that point at one time or another. It especially true with a new bike when you are just learning her capabilities!!!

Back