Close shave

kod3001

Registered
Blimey... bit of a close shave this morning.

I live next to a busy/fast road (60mph limit). In the morning it can be quite tricky to pull out, so I tend to pull parallel to the road onto the pavement (sidewalk if you prefer).

I can then usually pull out when there is the smallest of gaps, accelerate hard and I'm away.

This of course poses a couple of problems:

1. Tyres aren't warm
2. Road can be slippery when damp (what a surprise)

So this morning, gap in the traffic appears, all of it moving fast, 60mph fast.

I accelerate, lean out into the road, lean back to the left (being in the UK), back end comes right out, spinning away from me. Left foot comes off the peg, not sure if it was instinct or accidental, either way, my left toes make contact with the road and fortunately manage to keep me upright, I almost felt it heading toward a high side.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz. I rode away from it thinking, if I'd come off I would either have been catapulted into oncoming traffic, or end up getting run over by the car coming up behind me at speed.

So, another bit of luck, who knows. All I know is this, now the cold weather is coming, I'm thinking its time to start using the car.

Glad you kept it upright
cool.gif

Be extra careful this time of year. The roads can be deceiving.

Life has a way of teaching you things! Glad you made it okay.

Sounds like a rough way to start out the morning! Glad you made it!

Yep, the old busa girl has no problem spinning the tire when it's cold. I've done it many times and sometimes it's a surprise but keep in mind, when the tires are cold, gently twist the throttle. Glad you didn't skin your knees. However, I bet from now on, you'll be less agressive on the throttle first thing in the morning. Be careful man!

By the way, where did you get that avatar. That is funny as hell :-)

Thanks for all your words of support. No need for caffeine after that, I was WIDE awake. I know all about cold tyres (even more so now)
smile.gif
, just a matter of balancing between the idea of, can I make it before that car hits me, or...

Found that avatar while I was surfing somewhere, can't remember now, but the moment I saw it, I wanted it, wanted it bad.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back