Close Shave on the busa 2011

virkdoc

Registered
Been riding 4 years now and upgraded to the Busa last year. Today had a close shave with a road divider, went into a turn and realised wouldnt make it, straightened the bike and jammed the brake, the rear started to jiggle, the front tire hit the divider and the side right fairing scraped the divider....
Left a scraped fairing right side and a bruised ego......the only thought crossing my mind was...Shucks im gonna hit shucks im gonna hit....am I wearing protective gear am I wearing protective gear!!

we have all had them buddy,i have been riding 30 years and have my fair share.its amazing how fast your mind can process information at those times

Slow it down a bit! Replacing parts on a 2011 could get expensive and is most likely hazardous to your health.
A couple of free modifications that are a must while being a Hayabusa owner:

Self control
Good common sense
respect the authorita

Glad you walked away unscathed.

glad your alright! might want to knife it down a bit 'til you get used to the big girl. hopefully, you didn't jack up the plastics to bad.

glad your ok. its my 1st busa too. I been riding around the same amount of years. Before was dirt bikes. Went from R6 to busa. :oh:

Thanks guys...just a some scrapes on both the fairings in the lower corner......the big girl is brutal I must say.....I respect her like anything.....was doing great on the curves and my mind wandered on one curve and that was it!!

Been riding 4 years now and upgraded to the Busa last year. Today had a close shave with a road divider, went into a turn and realised wouldnt make it, straightened the bike and jammed the brake, the rear started to jiggle, the front tire hit the divider and the side right fairing scraped the divider....
Left a scraped fairing right side and a bruised ego......the only thought crossing my mind was...Shucks im gonna hit shucks im gonna hit....am I wearing protective gear am I wearing protective gear!!

Well, I have you hunch you'd have made it if you just pushed the bars a little more and rode out the turn. Usually, if you have enough time in a turn to stand it up and shed off speed, you most likely would have been able to make the turn. The bike and tires will do a lot more than you think they will :) When I get into a turn a little hot, I just repeat "keep pushing" in my head, referring to counter steering. Bike has not let me down so far.

Thats what my friend said later....U shuld have leaned it......but I guess I just chickened out and tried to slow it down.....I need to learn how to lean!!

it's that old phrase " look where you want to go with your head, and usually the bike will follow"
Lots of good points. We tend to look at an object instead of looking where we want to go. Target fixation. You will go where you're looking.

Simple mistakes can be costly. As everyone mentioned, look further, lean more and trust the bike. It wants to crash less than you do!

Take in a couple of track days. Start in the novice class no matter what you think your experience level is, they'll move you up if you need it. You'll learn so much about what can and can't be done, little things you may or may not be doing and need to change that will make you better and more confident. My 90% riding became 60-70% once I hit the track days. Plus it's pretty cool to instantly become faster and smoother than your buddies! Their tongues are hanging out, I'm cornering waving at oncoming bikes. Let's admit it, the ego stroke is worth the price of admission alone. The skills you learn will keep you alive making for an awesome bonus!

Glad your ok. I better my riding skills every time i throw a leg over my busa. We all get better with time and practice. There was a curve on my way to work every morning that I would practice leaning on. (have to be careful on those on and off ramps tho. Oil builds up there from stopped traffic sometimes)

Back