Close calls

Red05

Donating Member
Registered
I looked at the search examples of close calls and they all had to do with cagers. This one was just me. I was on the way home on the Tuono yesterday, my favorite twisty rural road, zipping along at a spirited pace. It was warm and sunny but it had rained the night before so early in the day, there were damp spots in the road along with a scattering of October leaves. On the way home, about 3pm, the the conditions were much safer. I was in a right hander at good lean about 65 mph, and the front tire slid out, I'm guessing about about 8 inches (which felt like a yard). It put me into a slight wobble as the rear tracked true. I never saw the cause; maybe just a slick spot maybe from residue from leaves previously? The bike is better than I deserve and I came through unscathed other than questioning for a few minutes why I continue to chance disaster every time I ride. A little later on the way home, with a few more conventional curves under my belt, I remembered :)

Yeah I'm wary of leaves but in this instance the road was clear. Made me wonder if leaves that may have been wet there earlier left some sort of residue? May be best to avoid wooded areas once Fall arrives, at least for spirited riding.

Leaves can be really dangerous as they stick to the pavement and get slippery when they decompose.

I hit some on my Bandit a few years back while pouring on throttle coming out of a corner,

I was glad that thing had wide bars as I was riding it flat track style for a bit....although it really impressed the guy behind me, my wife spent a bit of time getting the brown out of my shorts...

Back