Close Call

FJRider

Registered
After several long work days and followed by several days of rain I was jonesing from a lack of riding time.  Finally the sun came last Sunday.  I hadn't ridden my FJR or Busa for about 3 weeks.  No hard choice there...  I left the FJR collecting dust and rolled my '05 Blue & Silver out for some well-needed exercise.

I normally target the back roads in my area because there's very little traffic.  After about a hour it felt my BI (Busa itch) starting to get scratched.

Tearing down the back roads at what I thought was a reasonable speed I approached an indicated 30 mph blind corner.  My blood pressure stepped up a couple of notches when I glanced down at the speed-o and noticed it was reading about 70.    (Damn the speed really creeps up on ya, don't it?!)  No problem [I thought], I've done this many times before, brakes are a no-no, just lay it over in the turn and drag a knee if necessary.  As I entered the the corner I found the asphalt had been tore up in my lane, almost like a battle tank stopped and did a spin-out.  Lot's of broken pieces of asphalt and gravel.

At the last second I cleared the oncoming traffic path, and managed to swing wide, stay on solid asphalt and sucessfully got around the corner.  I was impressed how nicely the Busa handled the quick lane change.  Had I had on-coming traffic blocking my wide path, even at 30mph, I would have definitely gone down on the broken pieces of street.  Trees were lining both sides of the road, so there wasn't any other path to take.

I guess we roll the dice and take our chances! Luckily this time, I rolled a 7.  
smile.gif

Yep, definitely lucky but sometimes its better to be lucky than good! Just don't make a practice of it!

I did the same thing the other day ....except I was coming in to the curve and right in the middle of it there was gravel throw out in to the road. I felt both tires slide. Man you talk about a "pucker factor". I had to stop and jump up to get my ass outta the seat.

yeah road debris sucks!!!!!i went completely through a curve sideways on a little suzuki savage i use to have.had to pull over and calm down for a few minutes after that one.i hate gravel!

hECK YEAH Thats some scary shid!!! I hate leanin' her over (esp with a knee down) and finding all sorts of debris or even WATER on the blind corner. Yikes! that's where the split second reaction time comes in and you maneuver. As another member said, don't make a practice of it. Glad you pulled throught alright.

Ya i feel you man .. glad u did ok.. its been raining here for the past week .. no car so i have to ride .. but when its dry .. watch out for them gravel patches.. and new pot holes. Wet weather its a whole different story. good experience thou.

Good Luck

thanks for the story..... it keeps us all honest..... you just never know when it's gonna be your number.... glad your alright......

Back