Close call today

qarnaj

Registered
It's a sunny day and my girlfriend said she is going to have to work late today so we went home over lunch so I could grab the bike. I'm following her on the way back to the office. We're in normal town traffic doing maybe 35-40 when a car pulls out of a side street to do a left hand turn and tries to drive straight through the side of my bike. Fortunately there was nobody immediately in the oncoming lane so I was able to make a hard dive over there and goose the throttle to get out of the way. The driver never did slow down, hit the brakes, or in any way act like he ever saw me. All in all, I was 3-5 feet from wearing the car and a fraction of a second from bailing out to try to slide across the hood.

Moral of the story (if there is one): Never relax for a second out there, guys, because there are plenty of idiots just waiting to kill you if you do. Wear that gear, and make sure you're in a low gear in town just in case you need that extra burst of emergency speed.

good point..
smile.gif

i drive careful and almost paranoid.. in the city i drive in the left part of lane.. not in center when coming close to intersection..

glad you are safe..
smile.gif

smile.gif

Glad nothing happened, and you are so right never ever let your gaurd down. You never know when a cager will come out and bit you.

Very close indeed. What makes it even worse is that the other driver more than likely didn't look for anything besides another car or truck and that is why they pulled out.
mad.gif
I am glad that you are okay. Did you have to change your shorts?

Glad to hear nothing happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago when I was in my VW. Stay alert because...it's enough to give you a friggen heart attack.

had nearly the same experience about 45 min ago but the dumb %^$&# then stopped blocking both lanes of traffic forcing me to slide onto the side street she was exiting.

wtf is it with some of these cage drivers?
You are comin down the street, they don't wait for you to go by, noooooo....when you get close, they start pullin out!

Now it's probably their intention to time their "playing chicken" maneuver to end up right on your butt at speed with their rice-can equipped import tuner or jacked up 4x4.

But what I see is someone pulling out in front of me.
So I demonstrate that my high beams work, my horn works, and by gosh, that fricken bike stops _right now_.

When they have to stomp on the brakes cause you messed their precious timing all up, they like to either wave you on or cuss at you.

Here's the warning folks: I'm already pissed that you tried to play cage-chicken with me. Yelling at me will cause me to demonstrate the kickstand feature of my nice shiny machine that you just tried to destroy.

<!--EDIT|davycroc
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140606653 -->

YEah people dont like to LOOK IN THEIR MIRRORS! , i took a face plant at 75mph off the interstate on my zx12. 2 wrecks on my cbr600... one time on the cbr was my fault tho lol. second guy pulled out a parkinglot infront of me , i went over his hood and skidded lol. ZX12 was the worse , hjc helmet was a full face flip up , well when i hit ti fliped up broke apart into 2 pieces and slid off my head even tho it was still straped. luckily i landed in the grass in the middle... bike was totaled. guy kept driving like nothing happened. Got a nice ride to the hospital in the back of a EMS with this hot black headed chick tho i love thoes paramedic outfits
biggrin.gif
. Oh just to solve any curiousity someone got the guys plate number and his insurance covered the bike and everything

<!--EDIT|camaro69_4542003
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140607101 -->

Very close indeed.  What makes it even worse is that the other driver more than likely didn't look for anything besides another car or truck and that is why they pulled out.
mad.gif
  I am glad that you are okay.  Did you have to change your shorts?
Surprisingly, no. I didn't even get a nice adrenaline buzz off of it. In fact, I didn't even get pissed off until I got off the bike and had a chance to think about it. My girlfriend saw the whole thing in the rearview mirror and was completely flipping out enough for both of us.
smile.gif

Glad everything turned out OK. Its sad that we have to dtay on our guard every minute. Just think how much more we would enjoy the ride if we could just relax!

make sure you're in a low gear in town just in case you need that extra burst of emergency speed.
SOOOO TRUE!! I know I'm sometimes guilty of being in a higher gear than normal just to try and save a little gas. The heavier the traffic, the more you need the torque to bail you out if need be.

Back