Close call for me yesterday

Big_E

Registered
Yesterday i had the day off so i decide to go out on a ride. i head south towards the Santa Cruz mountains (hwy 9) when i began hearing some noise from the front suspension. i pull up to a gas station in Saratoga and notice that a bolt that holds the right cliper to the forks fell off and the other bolt is hold on by only a few threads. (talking about a panic situaton) so i pull out my tools and tighten up that one bolt down and zip tie the other one. i had no choice but to ride home using my back brakes to stop.

people, make sure you go through your whole bike and retorque all your bolts down. i did mine last night...

-E

wow.gif
good thing ya caught it and not at 160
rock.gif

people, make sure you go through your whole bike and retorque all your bolts down. i did mine last night...

-E[/QUOTE]
Always sound advice!!
Ride safe...

Could have been tragic! Definitely got make sure the bolts are tightened. Not that I have done much with that before, but definitely will now!

yeah, really, I'll be checking mine tonight for sure....glad you caught it before it got ugly
smile.gif

oh yeah, never carried zip ties with me before, but I will now
cool.gif

Whoooweeeee, don't want to see any road scrapes on the beautiful paint job Big E. Glad everything turned out allright.

Oddly enough, I put myself on a strict schedule to do this at the beginning of every month. Works pretty well. If you can set aside about a good 30 mins., you could give your bike a good once-over and tighten up everything.

Thanks guys. it was by far the most nerve wrecking experience that i have come against so far.

Glad nothing bad happened!

Have a question. Any idea how the bolts came lose?

Also, if I may say so, riding a bike without a preflight check is like having sex without a foreplay.

Let your fingers and eyes run along all the critical areas - not long, for just a minute, or two.???

there is nothing worse then getting in an accident when its someone elses fault except getting in an accident because its your fault

good thing your okay

there is nothing worse then getting in an accident when its someone elses fault except getting in an accident because its your fault

good thing you are okay

wow.gif
Someone was definitly watchin' over you, my friend~
Glad the situation didn't get too far outta control~

laugh.gif
you guys are too funny....

the preflight inspection: your right that day i did not go through my bike at all that morning. could of been prevented.

Sounds like my bike last week... I pull in the driveway after a 200+ mile cruise (some cruising and some high speed fun) and I hear a metallic clank. The nut that attaches my clutch lever to the bars fell off and hit the exhaust! I went through the bike that night. It's amazing what can come loose just from the vibrations of normal riding!

Wow...good that you stopped! That would have been a bad ending to a day...

I think I'll do a once-over on my Busa this weekend...thanks for the reminder!
smile.gif

Back