Clicking sounds + failing to start

Adobusa

Registered
Hello all, haven't had my 2000 Busa for long, however when i try to start her in the mornings as it's an everyday vehicle for me it'll sometimes refuse to start, a loud clicking noise which sounds like it's towards the rear of the bike, However it will start eventually with no troubles.. I was talking to a Busa guy i met and he said it could possibly be the starter solenoid though I thought i'd ask you guys before i go ahead and buy a new one, also it sounds really lumpy when i open it up anything under 4-5k rpm sounds lumpy, it has been tuned by the previous owner. Full Yoshi system PC3 and it was 174.8 rwhp and 109ftlb of torque.. could it just need retuning? any input is appreciated thanks.

Ask the previous owner who tuned it and see what his reputations is. You have a common set up so download a map and see if it cleans up. Sounds like a starter solenoid but could possibly be a connection or a ground. Put your ear up to the solenoid and see if its the click. Power numbers look correct.

Probably not the battery, but I'd load test it and the next time I had her running I'd check the charging voltage. Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on ? Probably bad starter solenoid.

Probably not the battery, but I'd load test it and the next time I had her running I'd check the charging voltage. Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on ? Probably bad starter solenoid.

Yeah i hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the key on, it could be the bad solenoid it's quite loud, though I've got a new battery as the last one was replaced in 2012.. Solenoid £25 and I'm pretty sure i can install that myself, Thanks for the replies

Hi there, turned out to be the starter motor, apparently it's a pretty common fault on the 99-00 models, I decided to purchase a Ricks Motorsports Starter Motor, a VERY nice upgrade and solved the problem.. My old starter motor had a few teeth missing so i guess wear and tear happens, either way it's starting without trouble.. it wasn't as bad as i thought, Now... just to sort my tail unit/tidy out ;) Thanks for the input though and i do apologize for the late reply!

Back