Clicking by the rear sprocket

MoNoXiDe

Registered
Let me start off by saying I just went from the factory tires through the break in process and just switched up to Pirelli Angels. I also have vortex rear sprocket and EK chain. When I took the rear tire off I went ahead and took my chain off to clean the hell out of it. Got the tires on and ran the chain back through. I went on a 4 hour ride and when I went to put the bike in the garage "I back it in" I heard click click click click. It almost sounds like the chain is clicking off the sprockets teeth. Anyone have any idea? This doesnt happen going forward, only backwards.

I used belray to relube the chain.

Sounds like either your not in alignment, you have a bad link or you over tightened your master link.

Wouldn't that make a sound going fwd too? I'm no mechanic by far. but doesn't it allign itself when you feed the chain thru?

Not if you over tightened one of the posts for the master, look at the mushrooms to see if they are the same size. Pretty sure he is talking about tear wheel alignment...

It most likely has nothing to do with alignment or the rivet link. Vortex sprockets are notorious pieces of garbage. Being aluminum they cannot hold up to wear as well as a good steel sprocket will. If it only makes the noise when you roll the back backwards, that is it. Take a close look at the teeth of the sprocket, they are probably slightly hooked . . .

It most likely has nothing to do with alignment or the rivet link. Vortex sprockets are notorious pieces of garbage. Being aluminum they cannot hold up to wear as well as a good steel sprocket will. If it only makes the noise when you roll the back backwards, that is it. Take a close look at the teeth of the sprocket, they are probably slightly hooked . . .

Mine is steel, with aluminum carrier.

You cannot be serious? The only "Garbage" here is your statement! :dunno:

Also, keep in mind this never did this before. I had 2500 miles on my bike and never had it happen. It only happened once I cleaned the chain and replaced my tires. Now come to think of it, i went on a ride prior to that day and backed it in and it didnt click. This started happening after my 4 hour ride thru the Cherohala and the dragon.

You cannot be serious? The only "Garbage" here is your statement! :dunno:

Hey TB, I probably should have clarified that statement - aluminum sprockets are total garbage. Vortex is one of the major manufacturers of aluminum sprockets. An aluminum carrier with steel does not come under this category. Aluminum sprockets always wear prematurely, and are typically more expensive than steel. I have one on my pro street bike, but that is only because it sees a quarter of a mile at a time and sees a lot of maintenance. I would never put one on any street bike, especially one with high hp and torque. And before I forget, IMHO:laugh:

Hey TB, I probably should have clarified that statement - aluminum sprockets are total garbage. Vortex is one of the major manufacturers of aluminum sprockets. An aluminum carrier with steel does not come under this category. Aluminum sprockets always wear prematurely, and are typically more expensive than steel. I have one on my pro street bike, but that is only because it sees a quarter of a mile at a time and sees a lot of maintenance. I would never put one on any street bike, especially one with high hp and torque. And before I forget, IMHO:laugh:

You just can't get away from that "Garbage" term, eh?

You and I have an entirely different view of acceptable performance. I have used Vortex aluminum sprockets for years. Every bike in my heard has a Vortex aluminum sprocket. Within the road race community on the west coast you'll find more vortex sprockets than all other sprockets combined. You are the first person I have ever heard of having less than excellent performance as well as service from Vortex.

I have no idea how a Vortex Aluminum sprocket would stand up with 600 fire breathing HP when strapped to the asphalt but I can tell you aluminum works just fine on any application street or track with 200 HP or less. No one will argue that steel will outlast aluminum but you may be the only man in the US willing to argue that aluminum sprockets perform poorly on street bikes or road race bikes.

Your opinion that aluminum sprockets are "Garbage" is simply factually false!

Post up a close up picture of your rear sprocket. Clicking when you back up sounds like the teeth are hooked. Not saying that aluminum is garbage, it simply wears faster than steel. I will say "I think EK chains are garbage" though. But that's only my personal experience with every EK chain I've had stretching like a rubber band :laugh:

Aluminun sprockets are garbage. Like he said check the teeth. I've been through vortex sprockets premature wear myself. Stick with steel teeth sprockets unless your running the quarter and checking your sprockets frequently.

Where is your liscense plate mounted? If you have it mounted on your inner fender this could be the tire rubbing it when you back up due to not enough clearance.

Aluminun sprockets are garbage. Like he said check the teeth. I've been through vortex sprockets premature wear myself. Stick with steel teeth sprockets unless your running the quarter and checking your sprockets frequently.

Apparently, you just didn't understand what you were buying when you purchased a Vortex Sprocket and were under the assumption that aluminum had the same ware characteristics as your JT steel sprocket from Taiwan. Next time ask before you purchase and Vortex will be happy to educate you on the difference between steel and aluminum. If you can't afford to replace your aluminum sprocket every 12-15K miles, don't buy it! :dunno:

I just bought a chain ans sprocket set and a vortex aluminum rear was what was sent and installed. I had concerns but went ahead with the install. Super light, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I was thinking too tight on the master link as well :dunno:

TB, opinions are based on experience, and yours is vastly different from mine. The way you reacted, I could see you were a big fan and
probably own stock in the company. I probably should have said, IMO, they are not as good as steel. I base that on close to 40 years
of being in the service/retail motorcycle business. The last thing I want to do is sell a customer something I feel to be inferior, and
if they insist on buying that item anyway, tell them why. And my answer is always based on MY experiences with that product.
And although the Vortex aluminum rear sprockets are on many road race bikes on the east coast as well, based on what I have seen in my time
in this industry, I wouldn't recommend one for a 110 hp 600cc bike. They just don't hold up as well as steel. You and I have different
opinions on this one, and I respect yours . . . based on YOUR experience.

Please lets not jack this thread over this . . . the op still has to find his problem.:laugh:

Vortex are JUNK! Read other forums to where members had bad luck with teeth breaking off them.
Unless your Bill Warren or Ryan Shnitz trying to break world records by .001 of a second or .10 MPH gain and have the money to replace them way before a steel sprocket then these are for you!

Just couldnt read anymore about "Tuf Says"
Now back to our regular program.

OP, may I ask what you used to clean the chain? Possible that O-rings may have dried out and chain now has kinks?

Back