Cleaning up the wiring mess

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
Found my battery terminals getting cluttered so I used a solution from the race car world - bus bars.

The one thing on my battery terminals now are the feed wires from the bus bars. Bus bars are mounted, for now, with industrial strength velcro.

Works great but thinking I may redo it with an add-on fuse box so I can cut out the fuses that every wire seems to have.

20230114_093920.jpg

20230114_093923.jpg

Nice. TPS Fab on YouTube uses bus bars as well. I’m using an MSD relay which has internal short circuit protection.

Another option is an Eaton Bussmann block.
If you scroll down and click on Catalog Page 165 you can see the catalog with other options.

The link to the catalog is available on every item and I’ve found that to be helpful. Here is the catalog link for that item.

Nice. TPS Fab on YouTube uses bus bars as well. I’m using an MSD relay which has internal short circuit protection.

Another option is an Eaton Bussmann block.
If you scroll down and click on Catalog Page 165 you can see the catalog with other options.

The link to the catalog is available on every item and I’ve found that to be helpful. Here is the catalog link for that item.
Those are nice but big and look expensive. I guess if you need a bunch of circuits those would be the ticket. For 10 circuits or less, Amazon has lots of options for both bus bars and add-on fuse panels.

Those are nice but big and look expensive. I guess if you need a bunch of circuits those would be the ticket. For 10 circuits or less, Amazon has lots of options for both bus bars and add-on fuse panels.
Yeah what I posted is more aligned to re wiring the entire bike haha so not the best for what you’re doing. Considering I found the Bussman on a video for how to re wire an entire bike that makes sense.

I don’t trust cheap electronic parts or anything from Amazon really. One day I had my generator going and two tire warmers plugged into a cheap power strip and it started smoking. After that I try to stick with higher quality items.

I’m still learning about electricity and the demands of different items on our bikes so I’m always interested to see what others are doing.

Yeah what I posted is more aligned to re wiring the entire bike haha so not the best for what you’re doing. Considering I found the Bussman on a video for how to re wire an entire bike that makes sense.

I don’t trust cheap electronic parts or anything from Amazon really. One day I had my generator going and two tire warmers plugged into a cheap power strip and it started smoking. After that I try to stick with higher quality items.

I’m still learning about electricity and the demands of different items on our bikes so I’m always interested to see what others are doing.
I've had good luck with Amazon stuff over the years.

Not Busa electric but learning lessons. I had a dead battery in my yard truck. Flat dead.

So I got out my trusty charger. 2 settings, fast and slow.

Fast was 10 amps. Steps the draw down as the battery charges. Slow is 1. Steps it down to .25A.

Figuring I'd get a quick charge to move it, I put it on fast and walked away.

5 minutes later I smell and look up to see smoke.

It had been taking 10A for 5 minutes and melted the charger wires!

I quickly unplugged. The negative charger clamp on the charger was so hot it blistered my fingers when I went to disconnect it.

10 Amps can do some damage!

I have been wanting to do a remote fuse block on a relay for a while now, bought everything for it a few years ago, then it got set aside. I have a whole bunch of Electric stuff I need to do. Just got a new LI Battery, Koso Heated Grips and a Healtech Thunderbox (32 amp version) for Christmas and now I think that is the way I am going to go for now. Plan is to run the Thunderbox up front (near the OEM fuse block) for my Horns, Heated Grips, Radar, GPI etc. Just to clean up the wiring under the seat. The Thunderbox is pretty slick and also tiny (2.3 x 1.4 x 0.7 inches). Just waiting for a little free time and warmer weather to get out and install it all.

I have been wanting to do a remote fuse block on a relay for a while now, bought everything for it a few years ago, then it got set aside. I have a whole bunch of Electric stuff I need to do. Just got a new LI Battery, Koso Heated Grips and a Healtech Thunderbox (32 amp version) for Christmas and now I think that is the way I am going to go for now. Plan is to run the Thunderbox up front (near the OEM fuse block) for my Horns, Heated Grips, Radar, GPI etc. Just to clean up the wiring under the seat. The Thunderbox is pretty slick and also tiny (2.3 x 1.4 x 0.7 inches). Just waiting for a little free time and warmer weather to get out and install it all.
That looks really nice

Back