Cleaning the inside of a helmet????

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I have a Busa RF-1000. I was wondering since the inside is not removable if I could just rinse it out and let it air dry. Has anyone done this? Inputs appreciated.

Don

I mix a weak solution of laundry detergent and water in a bowl or in the sink, soak a wash rag in the solution and then scrub the inside of mine really good. After it sits "wet" with that for a few minutes I rinse the rag really well and do the same thing again. After that I take a dry towel and dry the inside with it and then let it air dry. Works pretty well for me...

Wait, I got a better idea...!!!!!

ONLY USE SHAMPOO!!!

Take your lid into the shower with ya, and fill it full of water, a little shampoo, lather rinse, repeat. No kidding. What kind of shampoo? Your favorite... It's allready in the helmet anyway.

-Be gentle, remove the cheek pads if possible and remove the visor.

-gently work your hand around inside the helmet shampoo'ing everything real good.

-Rinse a few times REAL Good.

Set on a towel to dry with vent holes to the very bottom, should be dry in a bout 24 hours or less.

-Don't use SUPER hot water as you might soften some of the glue used in construction but a simple shampooing is the best way to keep your helmet stank free and ready to use.

This is straight from Arai's NW rep. No BS...
thumbs-up.gif

I never thought about it but it is the easiest way to keep it clean. You come home after a long hard ride or at the end of a commuting week and your lid is as funky as you? You're going to hit the shower anyway, take your lid with you!

Avoid any of the chemical sprays and such, they can lead to nasty residue buildup and you don't want to be trapped in your lid with anything funkier than your melon...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149387400 -->

I did that, for awhile, Rev...you know, how older helmets are, I just take a plunge with my lid...(like a little kid have a floating duck or submarine) and I starting with shampoo...but one of my cheek pad fall apart...
mad.gif
think I used too hot water...pi&& me off...but, other than that, it does stay fit alright...
biggrin.gif

Wait, I got a better idea...!!!!!

ONLY USE SHAMPOO!!!

Take your lid into the shower with ya, and fill it full of water, a little shampoo, lather rinse, repeat. No kidding. What kind of shampoo? Your favorite... It's allready in the helmet anyway.

-Be gentle, remove the cheek pads if possible and remove the visor.

-gently work your hand around inside the helmet shampoo'ing everything real good.

-Rinse a few times REAL Good.

Set on a towel to dry with vent holes to the very bottom, should be dry in a bout 24 hours or less.

-Don't use SUPER hot water as you might soften some of the glue used in construction but a simple shampooing is the best way to keep your helmet stank free and ready to use.

This is straight from Arai's NW rep. No BS...
thumbs-up.gif

I never thought about it but it is the easiest way to keep it clean. You come home after a long hard ride or at the end of a commuting week and your lid is as funky as you? You're going to hit the shower anyway, take your lid with you!

Avoid any of the chemical sprays and such, they can lead to nasty residue buildup and you don't want to be trapped in your lid with anything funkier than your melon...
Thats basically what I do,only I do it on a bit larger scale as I have numerous lids,I mix the shampoo solution in the tub and wash the insides out,rinse thoroughly,then put an electric fan in front them drying them pretty quick.NJ.

Geez... You learn something new everyday here.... Good to know. Thanks Rev

I thought most helmets have removable pads? I just pull the pads out of mine and use woolite. I also use helmet fresh every so often.

I tried the shower thing, now my shield is hazy. Guess I'll try it without the conditioner next time.

Back