Cleaning oil galleys and need a 5mm driver.....

Spudley

Grippin' and Rippin'
Donating Member
Registered
Morning,

Cleaning all the different threads on the new case, and am cleaning the oil galleys. Want nothing in the oiling circuit when this motor spins up besides fresh oil.

Anyone have a favorite slotted screwdriver they use to unscrew the rear oil galley jets to the transmission ? Don't want to bung the threads, but I need to pull these two buggers out to get any particulate floating around the rear oiling circuit that feeds the transmission.

The opening measures about 4.5-5 mm. I am taking it these are M6X1.0 threads. Thus the inside diameter is slightly under 5mm. The head of these jets looks pretty beefy, but brass can give if I don't use a decent fitted driver in there.

What are you using ? Are you grinding a medium slotted down to fit, or is there a favorite driver everyone uses ???.....

Thank you for the read. Have a good day.

A.

Thank you Mr. D,

Appreciate the input. The slot is slightly wider than average, so I'm looking for a good fit on the driver is all......

Have a good day !.

A.

I haven't seen these slotted screws/jets you are talking about, but if I ever need a good fitting screwdriver head I look into my box of drivers that are intended for gun smith use. These drivers are very precision and beefy. They have different widths and thicknesses to fit almost any screw perfectly. I don't know if you could get a better fit for a screw head anywhere.

I haven't seen these slotted screws/jets you are talking about, but if I ever need a good fitting screwdriver head I look into my box of drivers that are intended for gun smith use. These drivers are very precision and beefy. They have different widths and thicknesses to fit almost any screw perfectly. I don't know if you could get a better fit for a screw head anywhere.

Thanks for the idea. There's one located in the lower half just to one side of the breather vent opening in an oil galley, and one in the upper half located back by the output shaft cradle leading back to the three spray ports above the gear cluster....They are both a part of the rear transmission oiling circuit.

Maybe I'll take my dial caliper and wander over to my local Smith and see what he has available. That is a great idea....

Much thanks, A.

If you have trouble finding the right size from your gunsmith, the set of drivers I have were made by a company called "Chapman". These driver bits are ground where there is no taper of the blade that fits into the screw slot. The blades also fit into a ratchet handle so you can get a lot of torque on them. I think the set about 25 years ago was 20.00 at a gun show.

Back