Cleaning inside sprocket cover

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Speedo's just started to bounce a bit so I was gonna go cheap & just clean out theinside of the cover & see if that'll fix it. Its been bout 4,500 miles since i've taken it off.
My question is this, Since I use kerosene to clean the chain, would it be ok to get most all the goop outta there & scrub things down with kerosene toothbrush?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I cleaned mine this past weekend. It had a good 1/4" of crud built up in there. I used carb cleaner at first, but that didn't get the tough stuff. I ended up using brake cleaner and a wide flat screwdriver.

yeah, i just gotta remember to not pull the clutch lever like I did last time......that was a P.I.T.A. mess! *DOH*
Posted via Mobile Device

i have never cleaned that... but i plan on doing chain and sprockets as my next purchase. so ill be learning something there.

The kerosene will work but as others pointed out it might be pretty thick in there. I used a scraper and rag with brake cleaner.

not to make this redundant, but i use brake cleaner and a flat head driver as well. it's just easier to use in those tight spots and the cleaner cuts right through that crap. i can't see how kerosene would be a problem.

Did mine a while back. I used WD40 and a good rag, then cleaned that off with that purple spray cleaner/degreaser. Worked great, took time, but work great.

Before:

beforecleaning2.jpg

beforecleaning1.jpg

After:

IMG_4871.jpg

aftercleaning.jpg

:beerchug:

i'll be glad to assist with sprocket change brotha, give us an excuse to wrench & have beers
Posted via Mobile Device

Goo Gone work well after the heavy stuff is removed. I use it to get the chain crud off my rims by the sprocket ect. Careful on painted surfaces. A little bit on a small rag goes a long way.

I use a parts brush and kerosene. I have a pump type oiler that I fill with kerosene and soak the area real good. Scrape out the big stuff and wipe out real good. Put some lube on the shaft where it goes through the rubber seal.:thumbsup:

After you lube your chain wipe off the excess with a clean rag...contact cleaner by Maxima works great.

Did mine a while back. I used WD40 and a good rag, then cleaned that off with that purple spray cleaner/degreaser. Worked great, took time, but work great.

WOW great job!
Do you do windows? :laugh:

I use a hair dryer to warm up the old goop and scrape as much off as I can, then Kerosene and a parts brush.
I don't like the idea of carb cleaner of brake cleaner ( do a search on the PITA it is to replace that clutch rod seal. Need to pull the motor and split the case).
Ditto on a little grease on that rod for the above mentioned seal.

I used WD 40 as well after using an old sock and screwdriver to get the thick stuff. Started using chain wax. This is always after the ride, never before in an effort to keep that area cleaner, longer :beerchug:

Before:

beforecleaning2.jpg

beforecleaning1.jpg

After:

IMG_4871.jpg

aftercleaning.jpg

:beerchug:

Holy smokes, how does that happen? Is that from an oil leak or is that just normal for the bike? ???

Back