Cleaning Helmet

crepitus

Registered
I usually just clean it with windex when i am doing the shield. Any other better ways? The thing gets nasty for bugs in my arean, stuck in the vents and stuff. Also is it ok to wax the helmet?

Most helmet manufactures recommend warm water with a mild detergent. In any case, I don't use windex on any of my plastics, helmet or shield. I do use Plexus though and it works well for me.

Honda Cleaner...cleans everything...
cool.gif

Plexus

I clean the visor, helmet and entire bike with it. I love it.

Ive only ever used water to wash my bike twice in 2 years.

moX

I too used warm water on the helmet and windex on the visor. I also put a coat of wax, Meguiar's Quick Shine, on the helmet.

Every few months, completely submerge in a large bucket with laundry detergent or shampoo, rinse the same way. I just did mine and a bunch of bugs ... came out of the vents and so forth.  

Let drip for a while then place in front of a fan for a few hrs.  ALL GOOD!
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and dont use windex, finish off with plexus or a good poly wax. Shiney - slick - and clear.

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118725388 -->

Suzuki wash for the bikes,

Plexus for the helmet/windshield

The only thing that i have cleaned on my helmet is the windshield... We get something called as "colin" spray here in india, its pretty good
smile.gif

I use "Pig Snot" found at the Harley shop. Works great and leaves a sheen as well! Used regularly, everything comes off easily.

Wire Brush and ammonia
tounge.gif
Sprayway glass cleaner let is soak gently wipe off or bugs will scratch visor and I wax my whole helmet and visor helps with bug cleaning.

I swear by the bug and tar wipes on the tough stuff. After it's all bug and crap free, I put some Maguires spray wax on it. I use windex on the sheild.

I can't get enough of this stuff from Motorex. Cleans my inner liners and leaves it smelling nice. Works okay on the shell, but I use mainly just handsoap mixed in a little bowl of water.

Helmet_care.jpg

Mothers plastic polish. Also very good on the shield. Also Bumm and Crystal Glow are very good.

Honda spray wax for the helmet painted surfaces. Plexus for the shield. Keeps everything looking like brand new. Just don't drop it on the ground cause those marks will never go away.  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118752325 -->

I give my hat and shields a good coat of hard wax occasionally. I clean with Pledge. I also do the same with the fairing and window.

I have 'blonde' hair, common amongst us old guys. I need to keep the inside clean or my hair gets a yellow tinge ... gross.

Shower and dish detergent works good.

My wife made me a cap out of thin material to wear inside my helmet. This absorbs sweat and is easy to clean. On a hot day just stop and wash it out with cold water. It also has a long back to keep my neck from getting sunburned which has been a problem for me. I do NOT leave it on when my helmet comes off! Unlike the hardley dudes who where the scarfs over their heads.

Back