Cleaning chain

WD40 and a Grunge brush... Less than $10 or so bucks from almost any bicycle shop

Mod def a grunge brush. Cycle gear should have em
I use anything from WD-40 to simple green.

Why don't you want to use kerosene?

Suzuki recommends it, and it works great.

I use Simple Green but not a 'grunge brush'. I think it might have the potential to harm the O/X rings.

Diesel fuel works well and is cheap (RELATIVELY) if kerosene isn't available.
Used to use diesel, not any more. Kero is expensive at the hardware store in gallon containers, but reasonable at gas stations that have a kero pump. Last gallon I bought was colored with a dye. Worked fine with low volatility.

kerosene and a small brush used lightly. Warm up the chain first with a 5 minute ride and lube it after cleaning.
beerchug.gif

kerosene and grunge brush....nothing else. those o-rings will deteroriate quickly with the wrong solvent.

Then I use Maxima chain lube/wax afterwards (the no fling kind).

I got a 5 gallon can of kerosene from Lowe's 2 years ago. It was only available during the winter months though. But I still have plenty (4.5 gallons left).

Kerosene, Diesel, and home heating oil are all basically the same and will work equally well.

I use Kerosene and an old tooth brush, works great and I dont worry about o/x ring failure.

Diesel fuel works well and is cheap (RELATIVELY) if kerosene isn't available.
Used to use diesel, not any more. Kero is expensive at the hardware store in gallon containers, but reasonable at gas stations that have a kero pump. Last gallon I bought was colored with a dye. Worked fine with low volatility.
that would have been "Farm" fuel... illegal in any road vehicle
laugh.gif
the dye is inert and wont hurt a thing but looks (stains terrible)

Go to the car wash! Take a small can of WD40.... soak the heck out of it. Steam it clean and stick that nozzel up front as well as rotate the chain until you get it all. WD40 does not harm the O Rings at all. Now, clean and detail your bike and put the what ever you use on it there and I use belray chain lub and it's white. I use a piece of cardboard cut to just fit over the chain and wrap that cardboard in clear packaging tape so you can wipe it clean when done. Slow roll the chain and cover it good. If you run the engine... better keep them fingers out of there. WD is the best!
beerchug.gif

Sproket_43t_001__800x600_.JPG

Go to the car wash! Take a small can of WD40.... soak the heck out of it. Steam it clean and stick that nozzel up front as well as rotate the chain until you get it all. WD40 does not harm the O Rings at all. Now, clean and detail your bike and put the what ever you use on it there and I use belray chain lub and it's white. I use a piece of cardboard cut to just fit over the chain and wrap that cardboard in clear packaging tape so you can wipe it clean when done. Slow roll the chain and cover it good. If you run the engine... better keep them fingers out of there. WD is the best!
beerchug.gif
high pressure wash on an o ring chain? Contrary to everything I read.

I guess you have had luck doing it this way.

Back