Cleaning a helmet

SD1300

Will ride for Oreos
Donating Member
I've got a Shoei RF... full face and it needs to be cleaned inside. What's the best way to do this?
Thanks,
Mark

I've got a Shoei RF... full face and it needs to be cleaned inside. What's the best way to do this?
Thanks,
Mark

Every helmet I've owned allow me to pull all the pads out (usually snap or velcro or a combination). Once I pull them out I get a bucket and a bit of warm water and laundry detergent and hand wash them thoroughly. Make sure you squish the padding like a sponge to get all the soaked-in sweat pumped out of there like you're cleaning a sponge.

Once I've done that I run them through a couple a couple of rinse buckets to be sure all the soap is cleared out. Again, squeeze them repeatedly to make sure you pump all that soap out. Then I squeeze all the water I can out of them and either air dry or throw them in the dryer with some clothes to dry.

That's my method.

I remove the pad and wash them with a small/medium size towel in the clothes washer set on gentle. Air dry afterwards. Washer gets quite a bit of the liquid out from the spin cycle.

Freebreeze(I use hypo allergenic) as a treatment in between washes. Spray and pat to help in penetrate into the cushion.

my shoei RF1000 only allows the cheek pads to be pulled out.. So I pulled them and then I mixed some woolite water and wet the inside of the lid down pretty good with the woolite solution.. I let it age for about 10 minutes and then flushed it out really well with the hose fixture on my kitchen sink... I light massage of the fabric and padding let loose a good amount of grunge.. After the good rinse I put one of those super chamois inside, soaked the water out a few times and then set it on top of a lamp with the bulb on.. (60W bulb)..

came out just fine and hope it did not affect the liner too bad.. not sure if what I did is a good idea but I wanted it cleaned... (now wear a dew rag)

Did yall see the fail pic where the guy puked in his helmet ?:thumbsup:

The way I wash my helmet is this. I take off the cheek pads. I use my favorite shampoo and one of those spongees or whatever you want to call it. Turn the water on to warm. Pour some shampoo inside and use the spongee to scrub the inside. Rinse with warm water. After rinsing, air dry it. Never use hair dryer because from what I've heard it can harm the liner. Once its dry, you got one of the best smelling helmet out there. Oh yeah, I do this once a year when there's lots of snow on the ground or whenever I can't ride for at least a week.

Yes, to much heat from a hair dryer could be bad.

push-button-receive-bacon.png

Umm, seriously take it in the shower with you. No kidding, I've been doing it for years. In Florida I used to shampoo my lids in the shower about every 2 weeks.

It's recommended by Arai and it works like a charm.

No mystery chemicals in your helmet, no expensive contraptions, just a good luke warm shower. That's about the only caveat, do not use REALLY hot water if you take REALLY HOT showers dial it back a bit.

Fill your helmet with water, drain ad your favorite shampoo, agitate gently, rinse well, allow to dry on a towel for a few hours or overnight depending on your environment. Your helmet will smell great, and last for years. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. My lid now smells purdy!

Since I'm going to take a scoot over to Vegas for the weekend, It'll be pretty near ready for another cleaning after the trip across the 117 Degree sandbox!

Umm, seriously take it in the shower with you. No kidding, I've been doing it for years. In Florida I used to shampoo my lids in the shower about every 2 weeks.

It's recommended by Arai and it works like a charm.

No mystery chemicals in your helmet, no expensive contraptions, just a good luke warm shower. That's about the only caveat, do not use REALLY hot water if you take REALLY HOT showers dial it back a bit.

Fill your helmet with water, drain ad your favorite shampoo, agitate gently, rinse well, allow to dry on a towel for a few hours or overnight depending on your environment. Your helmet will smell great, and last for years. :thumbsup:
+1 i thought they actually suggest submerging the entire lid?

I just took out the liner & pads on both mine. I washed mine with Dial Magnetic, men's bodywash. did the passenger helmet in coconut shampoo lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Back