Civilian Work Ethic is Horrible

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I have been a civilian 7 years the 31st of next month, retired from the Navy after 20 years and 22 days. I will have had this job 7 years the 1st of Dec. In that time it never ceases to amaze me just how horrible civilian work ethic is compared to what I experienced in the Navy. Sailors did twice the work for half the pay and did twice as good of a job. As the general manager of a staff of 22. I still find myself wanting to "Bark" at them to get their attention... Can't do that, lol... HR department would go nuts. :rulez8bn::rant:

its a different world then it used to be...a large problem is employers no longer appreciate good employees, wages suck, and turn over is huge due to the latest generations of good for nothing individuals trained by the country to expect something for nothing.

I came into the US in 2001 and ended up running two large food factories in CA, mostly tomato based. Between two plants we use to process around 800 tons of fresh tomatoes per hour. It was a private company, about 1,400 employees. Between the owners and myself, we use to push managment really hard to deliver. I could never figure out why I had so much managment turnover, it was hard to retain folks. But we got it done. Five years later, I moved into a large fortune 100 company and can't believe how slack the managment is. Over staffed, over paid and no one takes responsibility for anything.

Finally, I think I figured out why it was so hard to get good folks at the private company, because I use to hire folks with good resumes from the Fortune 500 world, were they run from one meeting to the next and get nothing done.

I've owned and run my own small construction company for over 20 years. Before that I spent 20 years in Fortune 500 corporate America, working my way from entry level management to upper management. I'm well educated (BS & MBA) and experienced. In my business I interact daily with both private industry ("Civilian") and government (City, County, State, and Federal). I've done everything from dig ditches to presenting acquisition plans in a 'Big Oil' boardroom. Currently I'm winding down toward retirement, driving the company dump truck and equipment trailer while I mentor my son as he gets into position to take over the company.
IMHO, there are weak, lazy people in every industry, at every size level, at every employee level. It's really not valid to generalize. I've seen worthless SOBs everywhere. The differentiating factor between an organization that has good, motivated people who really give a $h!t is management, not whether they are civilian or government or large or small. Its the group dynamics of 'the pack' that they work in -- and that falls back to the working microenvironment that that group leader creates. Even a worthless SOB can become a credit to the organization with the right group dynamics and motivation.

I've owned and run my own small construction company for over 20 years. Before that I spent 20 years in Fortune 500 corporate America, working my way from entry level management to upper management. I'm well educated (BS & MBA) and experienced. In my business I interact daily with both private industry ("Civilian") and government (City, County, State, and Federal). I've done everything from dig ditches to presenting acquisition plans in a 'Big Oil' boardroom. Currently I'm winding down toward retirement, driving the company dump truck and equipment trailer while I mentor my son as he gets into position to take over the company.
IMHO, there are weak, lazy people in every industry, at every size level, at every employee level. It's really not valid to generalize. I've seen worthless SOBs everywhere. The differentiating factor between an organization that has good, motivated people who really give a $h!t is management, not whether they are civilian or government or large or small. Its the group dynamics of 'the pack' that they work in -- and that falls back to the working microenvironment that that group leader creates. Even a worthless SOB can become a credit to the organization with the right group dynamics and motivation.

I couldn't agree more. I've never been in the military but I've worked with some great ex-military folks. I've also worked with some horrible ex-military folks. The size of the company and your position in the company is also a big factor when it comes to what kind of people you work with. If a company is top heavy with lots of management layers you'll end up in lots of meetings where they decide what to tell the folks who actually get the work done. Leaner companies, not so much. However, I do believe that upper management sets the tone for the company. It is usually the difference between being able to retain quality people or being a revolving door for the lowest common denominator.

I've seen both. However, I will say the military has a better chance to develop a team when they live, eat, sleep, fight and bleed together, than an organization where everyone goes their own way at 1700hurs (that's 5PM to the civies) :) Also, the conversations can be a little more 'direct'. It's still all about building and LEADING an effective team.

I am a software developer and I manage a team of about 20. I would say 75% of those under 30 barely do any work and have a sense of entitlement. There are a few that are under 30 and are hard workers, but they are pretty rare.

Those older than 30 seem to have less issue.

The very sad thing about this old thread is it's not far from the truth....

eagle 1.jpg

Back