cigar smokers

Dougyp333

Registered
A question. Who all out there likes to smoke cigars and what is your go to stick? This question stems from the fact that I love a good cigar and I saw that @fallenarch had one hanging out of his mouth in a picture.

I have 2 sticks that are my favorites a Cuban Fonseca No.1 and pretty much any Arturo Fuente with a Cameroon wrapper.

I'm not a real sophisticated smoker. I grabbed a couple of monstrously expensive smokes (for me) and that was one of the last of them. They were all Cuban, I think maybe a Cohiba but not sure. Guy told me they were amazing and he was pretty much right. That one in the picture pretty much got wasted because I didn't smoke it all and it was really windy and cold - so yeah it was pretty much a prop!

I normally smoke these. Only smoke on rides and usually bring a couple to share. Funny that was the first time my wife had seen me smoke. She was sort of shocked at first. Wait until she sees me shoot! Amazing what you learn about your spouse after 34 years Lol

20191205_195410.jpg

I don’t get the (not) inhaling part of smoking them. Seems unnatural to take a drag/puff/hit and just blow it back out.
Cigars have a more complex flavor to me. Cigarettes taste more or less like smoke. Menthols taste like smoking a bottle of Vicks! I don't smoke much though, maybe a couple a month at the most.

That's one of the things I love about cigars. There is a wide variety of price points and tastes that can meet about any desire. I did a quick inventory of the humidor this morning and it's apparent that I need to order a few more smokes. I like to let them rest for a year or two before I smoke them so I keep a fare number on hand. I currently have 162 in the humidor, I will have to order a couple of boxes after the holidays.

Just for the heck of it here is what I currently have on hand:

Cuban cigars in the Humidor
23 Fonesca #1 Mar '15
1 Saint Luis Rey Serie A '96
4 Belinda Coronas
23 Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas AGO 16
23 Fonseca Cosacos May 16
9 Monte Petit Edmundo AGO 17
13 Hoyo Epicure #2 Jun 17
21 Por Larranaga Monte Carlo Jun 13

NC sticks in the Humidor
2 Southbound cigars (My home rolled smokes)
2 La Paulina Goldie robusto extra
5 Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun Grown
2 Olivia Series G Toro
4 Davidoff Signature 6000
5 Liga Undercrown Tubo
4 Davidoff Yamasa Piramides
3 Davidoff Grand Cru Robusto
7 Dunhill Aged Altamiras Tubes
11 Arturo Fuente Privada number 1

I believe that the best value for the money currently are the lesser Cuban Brands such as Fonseca and Por Larranaga. You get that great Cuban taste without the hefty cost associated with the Cohiba or Monte label.

Quite the array Dougyp333! Olivia Series V is among my favorites. I'll have to check out Fonseca and Por Larranaga; thanks for the tip!
I smoke one cigar a day, maybe 2 or sometimes 3 on the weekends.

I'm about three a week during the nice weather season but during the winter I don't smoke at all. I love a good cigar but it takes a lot more than that to get me outside for a couple of hours in the Iowa winter:lol:.

The V is a little strong for me. I like the taste just not that much Nicotine. For stronger Cuban cigars that don't have a huge premium on the price tag look at Partagás, Bolívar, or Juan López.

I love a good cigar but it takes a lot more than that to get me outside for a couple of hours in the Iowa winter:lol:.

The V is a little strong for me. I like the taste just not that much Nicotine. For stronger Cuban cigars that don't have a huge premium on the price tag look at Partagás, Bolívar, or Juan López.
Yeah I like the stronger, bolder blends. I have a propane heater in the screened in patio just for cigars :lol:

Yeah I like the stronger, bolder blends. I have a propane heater in the screened in patio just for cigars :lol:

Once the new house is done I plan on my workshop (not attached to the house) being my winter smoking area. It will also be a GROSS area.
GROSS.jpg

Man you guys are serious! I am a casual smokie at best.

That's how it starts, once you fall down the rabbit hole you may never make it back out. You can also spend some serious cash if you aren't careful. Now that last bit sounds familiar for some reason:poke:

Once the new house is done I plan on my workshop (not attached to the house) being my winter smoking area. It will also be a GROSS area.
View attachment 1609018

That's how it starts, once you fall down the rabbit hole you may never make it back out. You can also spend some serious cash if you aren't careful. Now that last bit sounds familiar for some reason:poke:
Been a casual smoker of cigars for 30 years now, just not the thing that hooks me. Same with alcohol. I take a drink once in awhile (once or twice a year, lol!), then it's back to cokes.

I don’t get the (not) inhaling part of smoking them. Seems unnatural to take a drag/puff/hit and just blow it back out.
Cigars are too bold and would make one sick if inhaled. They are unfiltered, fermented rolled tobacco. This is of course mostly about full cigars and not the kind that one can purchase at a convenience store. Cigars are as much about the flavor as about the nicotine, and the flavor is better tasted in the mouth.

On the other hand, cigarette smoke is low-quality tobacco laced with a myriad of other additives that are meant to give the user the strongest nicotine hit possible.
Because the tobacco itself isn’t really aged or fermented at all, cigarette smoke is acidic and thus easier to inhale.

Back