Chrysler 3.5L motor....Feedback anybody??

Fonzie

Registered
Looking at a used '04 Chrysler Pacifica, with the 3.5L V6. Never heard too much good about the longevity of Chrysler motors, so wondering if anyone on here has some 1st person feedback for me....positive or negative. Thanx in advance!!
tounge.gif

Does anyone know if the 3.5 has the same narrow passage/oil cooking/sludge problems that the 2.7 has? That business with blaming customers for a fundamentally flawed engine design that was still under warranty soured a lot of people on Chrysler forever.

They've done some amazing things over the years at the big C, but build quality and customer relations were never really at the top of their priorities list.

Fascinating gas turbine work back in the 60s and 70s though.

Longevity of Chrysler motors? Chrysler has a long rep on longevity. The old straight 6 and 318 would outlast the car. I am on my 2nd truck with a 318. I have a 98 Durango with almost 275,000 miles. Keeping up with the oil and minor repairs means long life with a motor. I don't know about 3.5 V6, I think they got it from the Jeep people. Worst thing they ever did is get rid of the 318 a few years ago!

Longevity of Chrysler motors?  Chrysler has a long rep on longevity.  The old straight 6 and 318 would outlast the car.  I am on my 2nd truck with a 318.  I have a 98 Durango with almost 275,000 miles.  Keeping up with the oil and minor repairs means long life with a motor.  I don't know about 3.5 V6, I think they got it from the Jeep people.  Worst thing they ever did is get rid of the 318 a few years ago!
Yes the heritage motors of Chrysler's yesteryear are indeed a relatively durable design. However, pertaining to the 3500 OHC V6, there is a very demonstrable trend of failure due to defective design in the oiling system. Even overseas in Bosnia I have run across two Chrysler products such as an '02 300m and a '99 Intrepid 3.5 liter that are parked in fields due to spun bearings and seized or otherwise inoperable motors. The damage to the crankshafts is severe with deep gouging when the driver continues to run the car after the critical failure occurs. They should have started using Benz motors as soon as the sale was complete. Now they are once again autonomous... We'll see if they sink or swim.

my neighbor has one and loves it. i think it has about 85k on it. i.ll ask him if there has been any probs. abut he may just be lucky
lurk.gif

Alright........let me throw another fire in the iron here. 2000 BMW 323i w/ 76k miles & the 2.5L 6 cyl. Wouldn't be able to fit all 6 of us, but again, it's the wifey's car, and she's really diggin' the 323. Went to the BMW driving school years ago, and fell in love with the quality of these cars......but of course they were all brand new models.

So.......I've always perceived BMW's to be high quality, low maintenance vehicles. Am I wrong in that assumption? Is 76k alot of miles on a Beemer, or are they like a Honda, where that's just broke in?

Pacifica is $13,9.......Beemer is $11,9

Tryin' to avoid trading one headache for another here

Alright........let me throw another fire in the iron here. 2000 BMW 323i w/ 76k miles & the 2.5L 6 cyl. Wouldn't be able to fit all 6 of us, but again, it's the wifey's car, and she's really diggin' the 323. Went to the BMW driving school years ago, and fell in love with the quality of these cars......but of course they were all brand new models.

So.......I've always perceived BMW's to be high quality, low maintenance vehicles. Am I wrong in that assumption? Is 76k alot of miles on a Beemer, or are they like a Honda, where that's just broke in?

Pacifica is $13,9.......Beemer is $11,9

Tryin' to avoid trading one headache for another here
Refer to my post on the XX board.
winkold.gif

Ok so the question is Chrysler minivan or BMW 3 series?
That's not much of a question at all.

Yes the Chrysler legacy motors were fantastic and no one is questioning the reliability of the old OHV V-8s of the old days, but lately their reputation for quality has almost totally disappeared. Listen to Projekt, the 3500 is a terribly designed motor, just like the 2.7. Chrysler is also world famous for nitpicking warranty claims and more often than not you won't get them to pay for or reimburse you for anything.

As for the BMW...well...it's a BMW, what more do you need to know? 76k is just getting warmed up.

Back