Chrome Clad wheels

mr8ball

Registered
Hi all, I bought a new GMC Seria last June with what they call Chrome Clad wheels. Not knowing or thinking to much about it I thought the wheels were just chrome wheels. Now a year later I am having trouble with them. I have never cleaned them with anything but soap and water until today. I tried to clean one spot with no results. It seems the plating it turning or fading. I went back to the dealer today and they are going to try to fix them but was wondering if anyone else had any trouble like this. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

yeah...i have the same problem. they tell you not to use anyting on the rims to clean other than just soap. its almost like clear coat is coming off.

I had never put anything on mine. I tried some never dull today and it did nothing for it. I then stopped at Advance and tried some 3M stuff they had and still nothing. I went to the dealer and was told the body shop could fix it. Then I ask if it would come back and was told no. I know it is my fault but I really feel I was duked on these wheels and everyone should be made aware that these things are made like this. Just looking at the you could never tell that they were not chromed wheels. I have been looking around on a few forms and everyone feels the same way. Only good thing is I have 2 more years on the warranty. Hopefully I can get them replaced instead of repaired. For what I spent on this thing I will not settle for anything less then perfect.

DSC_0016.jpg

Ouch! Chrome clad is actually a plastic chrome insert glued to a steel wheel in many instances. Not real chrome at all, but simply plastic. Anything abrasive will simply accelerate it's demise. Chrysler and especially Chevy are known for this and even I was fooled once in the past by one. I'm a retired auto damage adjuster and I was not happy when caught making a mistake. So cut yourself a break. If the chrome coating is starting to peal, there is not really a cost effective repair unless the insert is available separately. You may be able to touch it up with some of the chrome paint. Lots of things can be plastic chromed these days, but you would never get the insert off without damaging it.

Ouch! Chrome clad is actually a plastic chrome insert glued to a steel wheel in many instances. Not real chrome at all, but simply plastic. Anything abrasive will simply accelerate it's demise. Chrysler and especially Chevy are known for this and even I was fooled once in the past by one. I'm a retired auto damage adjuster and I was not happy when caught making a mistake. So cut yourself a break. If the chrome coating is starting to peal, there is not really a cost effective repair unless the insert is available separately. You may be able to touch it up with some of the chrome paint. Lots of things can be plastic chromed these days, but you would never get the insert off without damaging it.
This is the honest truth. Most car manufacturers who offer chrome wheels get them from the same OEM manufacturer, and most are plastic inserts that are then chromed. Here in Kansas City, we have a company called the wheel doctor who goes to all the used car dealers and restores the wheels for them. If the Mfr. will not warranty the wheels, and if they are over 12 months old, they probably will not, you may check and see if a wheel doctor is available in your area.

If the Mfr. will not warranty the wheels, and if they are over 12 months old, they probably will not, you may check and see if a wheel doctor is available in your area.
I bought mine in June of 2013 and it has a 3 yr 36K bumper to bumper warranty. I only have 10500K on it. I was told that the wheel Dr was going to come there and they would have my truck for a day and have it fixed. I ask if it would come back and was told no. I am sure they are just telling me that. They can bet one thing. If it does they will do something about it. I went to the dealer yesterday and could not find another truck with these wheels on it. They must have over 100 trucks on the lot. Its strange they done have anymore. I guess time will tell. Thanks for all the info.

I have the chrome clad wheels on my GMC and I use semi chrome polish on them all the time and never had a problem.
The polish leaves a thin layer on them which seems to protect them somewhat from the elements.
It takes me about 15 minutes per wheel to polish them up and they look good for awhile.
Probably use the semi chrome polish 2-4 times per year. I use Zaino products for the soap and wax etc.

Sad that they (the wheels) are made in China.

Well the dealer fixed them. Come to find out the buff & shine deal I bought it something like a car wash they run it through and it was over spray from that. I don't know what they used to get them clean but boy do they shine. If I could just find out what they use. I will try the chrome polish but does anyone know what the dealers use? I ask them but they really don't want to tell me. Pics are after the clean

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

On real chrome (not meant as an insult but a precaution) we used hydrofluoric acid at the dealership and detail shop I worked at. Will tear up non sealed aluminum surfaces and etch glass....

***edit, and I do not know what quality or type of finish your truck uses, and or if its sealed.

Call the dealer - ask for parts - ask them what do your guys there use to shine up chrome wheels.
Maybe the guy there doesn't know he's not to give out that info. :laugh:

or stop in to the parts dept. if they think you are going to buy some, maybe they will say this is what we use.....

If all that fails - just use the Semi-chrome polish - it runs about $9-10 per tube. Your bike shop might very well have it.
Otherwise just Google it. Made in Germany.

Eagle one never dull polish wads work great too. Cleans any kind of metal and takes road tar pretty well. Just rip a piece from the can, polish, let dry, then wipe with microfiber.

image-2681744183.jpg

image-2681744183.jpg

Thanks guys. I tried the never dull on them when they had the over spray on them and it would not do anything for it. I tried called the dealer and talked with someone in every dep. and none of them was able to tell me what it was. I guess its a big secret or something :laugh: I will try the Semi chrome polish. Thanks again

On real chrome (not meant as an insult but a precaution) we used hydrofluoric acid at the dealership and detail shop I worked at. Will tear up non sealed aluminum surfaces and etch glass....

***edit, and I do not know what quality or type of finish your truck uses, and or if its sealed.

The wheel covers are some type of plastic that is glued on the aluminum wheels from the factory is the way I understand it. I sure wish I knew this before I bought this truck. They sure look nice but hate the idea of it. When I use to show my cars I really made sure I had the best wheels out there and thought I was getting the best ones at this time. I just did not pay that much attention to them because they looked so good. I never thought about looking at the en voice to see if them were chromed aluminum wheels. O well my fault. I got all over the guy I bought my truck from for not pointing it out. He clams he did not know it. Maybe he did & Maybe not.

Back