Chrome alternative

Well since the cat is out of the bag wait til you see my custom frame and swing arm covers I've been working on since last winter.  I think mine will look better than what they are offering.
I've only told a few here when I started working on this ideal last year so dont go thinking I'm stealn there ideal.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>To be continued</span>

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119566959 -->

Well since the cat is out of the bag wait til you see my custom frame and swing arm covers I've been working on since last winter.  I think mine will look better than what they are offering.
I've only told a few here when I started working on this ideal last year so dont go thinking I'm stealn there ideal.

Free samples???
poke.gif

Free samples???
[/QUOTE]

I got your free sample hangn and swingn  
laugh.gif

Quit hatn, CB  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119574051 -->

Not bad looking. I think I would still get the bike chromed by disassemble and sending it out. During the winter time there is usually nothing to do so waiting is not a problem. How secure are they? If you end up hitting a pothole or soemthing, will they fall off?

Not bad looking.  I think I would still get the bike chromed by disassemble and sending it out.  During the winter time there is usually nothing to do so waiting is not a problem.  How secure are they?  If you end up hitting a pothole or soemthing, will they fall off?[/QUOTE]

Theres a techique now that allows actual triple plate chrome to adhere to plastic just like to metal.
Also I believe the chromex removable frame covers are a bolt on kit from what I can see.

Theres a couple of advantage of going with the removable frame covers as mentioned in the above link. Being able to remove the parts easliy and cheaply to put another set on if  they recieve a scratch or scratches, while still paying less than what you would have paid chroming your actual frame. Another plus would be being able to resale your chrome parts like you would any other removable chrome add  on.

If you scratch your chrome frame you will be screw out of all that loot, plus down time etc. Also its going to cost your azz just as much to remove the old finish for recoating.   Thats the one major problem with chrome finish compared to polished aluminum or the removable frame covers.

Granted I cant say how well this  new product will hold up under actual riding condition but I cant imagine seeing any future problems with flexing that would cause flaking of the chrome finish on the plastic or fiberglass.

One consern would be the type of finish  they are using on top of their removable frame cover.

Vaccum metalizing or a actual triple plate chrome process  
rock.gif

Just for  show and to save yourself some money I would go with the Vaccum metalizing with a UV clear coat. For everyday roll'n and show'n, I would difinetly apply Triple Plate Chome  .

Just my worthless .02 again
wink.gif

Heres are the mold that I made that I will be pulling my frame covers from.
As you can see mine will cover the clutch basket and speedo sensor, holes and bolt holes on the frame giving it a smoothier flat chromed finish, not like the Chromex . The entire side of exposed metal will be covered. Which will cut the price down even further by eliminating the other pieces that will need to be chromed.

My  frame cover molds currently still need prepping as you can see, but thats no biggy. I just wanted to share the photos since someone else (Chromex) beat me to the punch on getting these babies out there.

Also

TY

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119589212 -->

DSC02134.JPG

Some might say there cheezy,but give the guy some credit..pretty good idea.

I bet he will sell alot of them!!

PICT0093.jpg

cool.gif

hey Rythm let me know when ya get some of the side covers done in chrome up man i'd be interested already have the chrome arm and everyhting else just been dreading a tear down to send the frame off is all and the cost./

TO bad wit that kit they sell you can't just buyt a couple pieces mabey should email them and see if i can

I know someone else that has those 2.

I wonder if they fit so snuggly as he claims how he expects them to fit all frames without extreme tweaking? I mean you do need to realize that not all frame welds are the same height. Second, I'd be very curious of how well they'll hold up if they touch the frame. It gets pretty hot. Not really worried about the plastic itself, more referring to the chrome finish.

dead weight..

haha.. posers!

.. -ahem- hey rhythm.. if uhh.. ya need a test bike.. I suppose you could send me a full set.. i'll pay shippin' I guess.. lol

pretty cool ideas.. if your into that sorta thing.

suzuki4life
Professional Pilot

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:1.41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know someone else that has those 2.

I wonder if they fit so snuggly as he claims how he expects them to fit all frames without extreme tweaking? I mean you do need to realize that not all frame welds are the same height. Second, I'd be very curious of how well they'll hold up if they touch the frame. It gets pretty hot. Not really worried about the plastic itself, more referring to the chrome finish. [/QUOTE]

I cant speak for Chromex frame covers, Gary but I had taken this into consideration when making my molds. If you look closely I leveled my weld area on a slope from the highest center point on the weld while feathering it on an angle outwardly so there wont be a visible weld mark in my frame covers. Also the added space from the feathering will allow for irregular welds on other bikes if I decide to market them, understand this,Playa I do this shiat for the love.
tounge.gif

As far mine fitting snuggly on the frame ? Time will tell when I get done laying them up and try'em on I'm shooting for a perfect fit especially the bolt holes but if not in the other areas, a small variation isnt going to hurt just as long it doesnt interferr with the bottom of the seat pan because everywhere else on the frame has gaps wide enough to allow for overlap.

Also I dont believe Chromex will have any issue with the heat from the frame causing a lifting problem on the chrome covers. Good example, how many cases have you heard of the black kidney protector that are glued on the side of frame lifting off
rock.gif
wink.gif

Ty

-licious since way back.

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:3.58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dead weight..

haha.. posers!

.. -ahem- hey rhythm.. if uhh.. ya need a test bike.. I suppose you could send me a full set.. i'll pay shippin' I guess.. lol

pretty cool ideas.. if your into that sorta thing.
[/QUOTE]

I'm a St8 pozer,Ego
laugh.gif

I aint skerd to admit it
tounge.gif

Have you come up with an estimated selling price?

Have you come up with an estimated selling price? [/QUOTE]

I was on the same line of pricing with Chromex . They just beat me to the punch.
beerchug.gif

I feel they should do well with the selling of thier removable frame cover and are charging a fair price.

I think it is a great idea.  I think we are still waiting to see your bike Rhythm.  You have some pretty good ideas coming outta that brain!  Keep us informed!

<!--EDIT|billbell
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119607656 -->

[/quote]
I think it is a great idea. I think we are still waiting to see your bike Rhythm. You have some pretty good ideas coming outta that brain! Keep us informed!
Thanks,B
beerchug.gif
She wont be completely done with all the modz I had plan probably til next year.
mad.gif

I broke one of the custom mirror mold and will have to start over again. I wont have them installed this summer and the frame cover wont be done eithier, theres just not enough time in a day with work and maintaining my chores around da crib
wink.gif
. I'll difinetly have the sound system bumpn with a few little sleepr modz I added but other than that theres really nothing I've done to it.

Back