Choosing the right engine platform

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum and am really struggling with my decision here.

Earlier this year, I had a major motorcycle accident. My body is damaged enough that I will never race motorcycles again. I have tried with my GSXR750 and found my hips articulation does not allow me to hang off the bike without being jerky. Many muscles are still paralyzed unfortunately and likely will be forever.

I do not think I can go without the thrill of speed. My solution is to power up my crosskart. Currently, it runs a GSXR600 setup but is currently being upgraded to accept the Hayabusa platform. Pictures attached. I am extremely familiar with high power turbo vehicles as I have owned several over 1000hp. I am also a master certified technician with a degree in automotive high performance.

What I need help with is understanding this specific engine platform. I want to run a turbo hayabusa setup in it. I have already purchased a standalone fuel management system and touchscreen dash. It will run on e85 at all times.

I need help deciding between a Gen1 and Gen2 engine. I am reading that the gen1 has transmission issues around 300hp. I do not anticipate ever going over 350 crank hp. This crosskart is street legal so I do anticipate the need for the platform to handle that 350hp consistently and reliably.

I can save $1000 by going gen1. Is the gen2 setup worth the extra money when I am already running stand-alone? I would love some advice from some of you more experienced individuals.

8BBEEAB0-A7BA-4320-9428-1B3CCB3C351D.jpeg

899965B0-7C97-40DE-B098-72163F21B237.jpeg

Welcome and Merry Christmas. More knowledgeable members will post soon but from what I've read the first gen engine is turbo friendlier. The fact that you're thinking 350hp might change that? Looks like quite a toy you're building!

Reactions: Zee
Welcome and Merry Christmas. More knowledgeable members will post soon but from what I've read the first gen engine is turbo friendlier. The fact that you're thinking 350hp might change that? Looks like quite a toy you're building!
Thank you!! And merry Christmas to you as well. It has been an absolute blast in the past.

A week before my accident that crippled me, I rolled this thing end over end 172’ off a jump. I walked away with a slight concussion but this thing was MANGLED. The chassis was like a banana.

I had spent 2 years building everything from scratch myself. Chassis, suspension, steering, engine, drivetrain, brakes, etc... Nothing was left stock. I was able to get it licensed and street legal in Michigan achieving a major goal of mine to build my own car.

I have everything repaired on it now which is why there is a red picture and a gold picture posted. I have all winter to make this thing even cooler though. What is cooler than a turbo hayabusa in a cross kart that weighs 600lbs?!? It is going to be exhilarating.

Thank you!! And merry Christmas to you as well. It has been an absolute blast in the past.

A week before my accident that crippled me, I rolled this thing end over end 172’ off a jump. I walked away with a slight concussion but this thing was MANGLED. The chassis was like a banana.

I had spent 2 years building everything from scratch myself. Chassis, suspension, steering, engine, drivetrain, brakes, etc... Nothing was left stock. I was able to get it licensed and street legal in Michigan achieving a major goal of mine to build my own car.

I have everything repaired on it now which is why there is a red picture and a gold picture posted. I have all winter to make this thing even cooler though. What is cooler than a turbo hayabusa in a cross kart that weighs 600lbs?!? It is going to be exhilarating.
Welcome to the forum from a fellow michigander. Like red said the first gen seems to be a little more turbo friendly from what I gather. @michael parris heuberger is real knowledgeable as he is building a beast of a bike and the site sponsor @Boosted Cycle Perf knows turbos very well as do a bunch of others such as I believe @Dennis . Hopefully they'll come in with some help. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad your still here and still looking to go fast :beerchug:

Random thoughts, but the differences as I see them probably favor Gen1 for that application. The biggest factor is price. Gen1 stuff is cheaper, in particular the heads. Yes, you will build a complete engine but you may need a replacement head at some point. Second factor is the stuff that isn't as strong on a Gen1 you would probably replace on a Gen 2 anyway, such as rods. The Gen1 block is better but if you don't bore it that doesn't matter. The only thing you are giving up is the Gen2 crank (you can change that) but for turbo not that big of a deal. The electronics are better on Gen2 but you have already replaced that. The Gen1 transmission has issues but you should send it out and get it backcut anyway so problem solved. I would highly recommend an aftermarket output shaft for the Gen1 transmission. Some folks believe the Gen1 transmission shifts better due to less dogs on the gears. I like the fact that the Gen2 has two sets of injectors so I can have a small set on the primary for easier idle tuning but lots of guys make more power than me with a Gen1 with no issues.

Dang. You guys are amazing. I did not expect so many responses on Christmas.

@Dennis What is backcut in the transmission?
That's what we do here, stick around and you'll find we're a big dysfunctional family that try to help all. Gen 1s as well as a lot of earlier Suzukis had issues with the gears wearing and not holding you'll see a lot of used bikes that say second gear is gone because of it. Ape had the simplest breakdown i read on exactly what back cut means.
Screenshot_20201225-171312_Chrome.jpg

I am in the Lansing area. That would be great if he has any insight. I would love to understand the intercooler styles. With this turbo being able to be mounted pretty much wherever, I am considering a solid air to air will suffice if I use a roof scoop to divert airflow. Sized appropriately I suppose will be the hard part. What kind of IAT temps are you turbo guys seeing after a solid pull?
I noticed those types of undercut dog teeth on the GSXR600 transmission when I was removing 1st gear. It is crazy to think that did not used to be a “thing”. The donor was a K8. It would be curious to know when the manufacturers widely adopted that design.

Thank you all!

I would love to chat with some of you that own turbo bikes here in Michigan or have experience with it. If you wanted to get together at my facility and race some indoor karts, I would be happy to host and learn a little about your experiences.

www.highcaliberkarting.com is my place. We can see who chimes in and try to make something fun happen.
Hi. You can call me at 508-496-3312.

Well, I got a screaming deal on a 2008 big king that I could not pass up. I am going to be tearing the engine out of it in the next couple weeks and parting it out.
I ended up purchasing an air cooled Comp CTR5858 turbo for it. I am planning on pistons, rods, studs, spacer plate, valve springs and retainers as well as valves. I am working through a site sponsor right now for the correct package.

thanks for all the advise everyone! I will keep you all up on the build as it progresses.

Back