Choke problem

Ditto on the idle adjustment.
If it runs with the choke (fast idle) and you take it off and it stalls, then it is set too low.
FYI I set mine to 1400 rpm, as it seems to run a lot smoother and my oil pressure is quite a bit higher. Just me.

When my Choke is set all the way the rpms are at 2500 and when i take it off the bike just turns off..it wont turn on and stay on unless i give it throttle and keep it rinnung with the throttle if i let go it shuts off..any ideas

ok...should the lever be all the way up or down? There was some discussion about this amoung my gsxr friends that were working on my bike last night.

Mine didn't come with the choke option :), but I suggest adjusting your idle speed to about 12 to 14 hundred RPM and :welcome: aboard:beerchug:

Well mine turns off when the choke is all the way up..and when its all the way down its like at 2500 rpms...is this normal??

You should adjust your idle with the choke off. (there is a screw, with a spring around it's shaft on the right side of the throttle bodies. You can see it in the bottom pic, bottom left hand corner attached to that cam))
Then adjust the choke (fast idle) like this:

Fast Idle.jpg

wish i hadn't seeen that comprehensive set of notes mine runs at 2500 fast idle never misses a beat... now i am wondering do i fix it it ain't broke

wish i hadn't seeen that comprehensive set of notes mine runs at 2500 fast idle never misses a beat... now i am wondering do i fix it it ain't broke

Mine does 2500 too and I'm leaving it.
As long as it starts good I'm OK.
When it has a hard time....then I'll do it.

ok...should the lever be all the way up or down? There was some discussion about this amoung my gsxr friends that were working on my bike last night.

all the way up after your bike warms. Oh and don't let gsxr friends touch your bike ever again if they couldn't figure that out!:poke:

ITS NOT A G_AMN CHOKE ALLREADY SO STOP CALLING IT THAT, its a fast idle used only for cold starts, all it does is twist the throttle slightly the same as you do with your hand when you twist it...turn up the idle screw on the throttle bodie(its the screw with the spring) turn it in (clockwise about 2 turns,,,then take the fast idle all the way off upmost possition and then turn down the idle to about 1200 rpm.....if someone else on here calls it a choke, im going to choke them...chokes do not exist on fuel injected vehicles its physically imposable:rulez:

ITS NOT A G_AMN CHOKE ALLREADY SO STOP CALLING IT THAT, its a fast idle used only for cold starts, all it does is twist the throttle slightly the same as you do with your hand when you twist it...turn up the idle screw on the throttle bodie(its the screw with the spring) turn it in (clockwise about 2 turns,,,then take the fast idle all the way off upmost possition and then turn down the idle to about 1200 rpm.....if someone else on here calls it a choke, im going to choke them...chokes do not exist on fuel injected vehicles its physically imposable:rulez:

Look at my pic above from the manual, bullet #4.
Suzuki calls it a choke. :whistle:

Also from the owners manual (little one that comes with the bike):
But I do agree with your point it is a fast idle, NOT a true choke.

Choke.jpg

Last edited:
On the lever it's self, it does have that little universal "choke" symbol. So i can see why some would call it that. And I too agree it is a fast idle...but then again, what's in a name.
Signed,
ACEHOLE:laugh:

Last edited:
Look at my pic above from the manual, bullet #4.
Suzuki calls it a choke. :whistle:

Also from the owners manual (little one that comes with the bike):
But I do agree with your point it is a fast idle, NOT a true choke.

Thanx mike1180 that picture was good help

NO SUZUKI CALLS IT A CHOKE LEVER (THE LEVER) not its purpose...it even states that what it does is open the throttle valve, chokes close off air supply, this gives the bike gas

anyway, we all agree its not a choke, show me who's neck i need to put my hands around now...:rofl::lol:

Last edited:
NO SUZUKI CALLS IT A CHOKE LEVER (THE LEVER) not its purpose...it even states that what it does is open the throttle valve, chokes close off air supply, this gives the bike gas

anyway, we all agree its not a choke, show me who's neck i need to put my hands around now...:rofl::lol:

:laugh:

We all agree now - clear as mud.
It isn't a choke.
It's just called a choke.

Back