Choke lever

busa_boy_69

Registered
Okay this is really weird. Where I live we are starting to get the fall type temps. I went out to ride one morning and it was in the 40's. The bike had been sitting in the garage all night so I pulled the choke back to let it warm up a little better and NOTHING happened to the RPM's. Its like I didn't even touch it. So I turned it off and back on again to make sure I had it all the way back and sure enough nothing. Its been about 2 weeks now and my choke is not working at all.

Has anyone had this happen or knows what it might be?

Its just really weird. It was working fine a few months ago and now I tried to use it and nothing.

Thanks for any pointers.

BB69

I noticed the choke only works if your handle bars are all the way to the left. Do you have your bike on stands?

mine did the same thing, i had to tighten the cable till it was at a point i could recognize

(Youkai @ Oct. 10 2006,20:13) I noticed the choke only works if your handle bars are all the way to the left.  Do you have your bike on stands?
No just on the kickstand with the handlebars straight. But it always worked like that before.

It's actually a fast idle not a choke...but anyway. If there is resistance when pulling the lever back, might just need to adjust the cable stop on the TB end, as in it is stretched too far or the clamp came loose. If no resistance, then check to see if the working end is moving at all, as in broken cable. All too often ppl neglect cables, even more so since there are only two on our Busa, the Fast Idle and the throttle, one you rarely if ever use, the other you twist with great joy and happiness often
smile.gif

GL with it and post back your findings please.

Charlie

(CAT3 @ Oct. 10 2006,20:17) It's actually a fast idle not a choke...but anyway.  If there is resistance when pulling the lever back, might just need to adjust the cable stop on the TB end, as in it is stretched too far or the clamp came loose.  If no resistance, then check to see if the working end is moving at all, as in broken cable.  All too often ppl neglect cables, even more so since there are only two on our Busa, the Fast Idle and the throttle, one you rarely if ever use, the other you twist with great joy and happiness often
smile.gif

Charlie
Yeah I know its an idle adjuster I just always seem to think of it as a choke since its used for cold starts. BUT I agree with u mine has never needed the handlbars tilted to work before. I am going to check out the cables though thanks for the input.

I just recently had to adjust the stop screw on my fast idle linkage at the throttle body. It was a bit of a PITA but nothing that unseating the airbox didnt take care of. My fast idle went from working to not working overnight. It was wierd... i didnt give it much though through the summer but now with the cooler temps in the morning the bike wouldnt start so i had to adjust it.

Maybe you just need to Re-jet your Carbs...............    might be time for a port and polish on the float-bowls!
[/Quote][/Quote]

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

cool.gif

laugh.gif

(CAT3 @ Oct. 10 2006,23:17) It's actually a fast idle not a choke...but anyway.  If there is resistance when pulling the lever back, might just need to adjust the cable stop on the TB end, as in it is stretched too far or the clamp came loose.  If no resistance, then check to see if the working end is moving at all, as in broken cable.  All too often ppl neglect cables, even more so since there are only two on our Busa, the Fast Idle and the throttle, one you rarely if ever use, the other you twist with great joy and happiness often
smile.gif

Charlie
definatly not being critical or flaming you but there are 3 cables - throttle on - throttle close - fast idle

2 ways to adjust the fast idle.

1) The stop screw.  Just like the idle screw adjuster.

2) The cable.  If the thingy does not contact the end of the screw when you pull on the fast idle, then adjust the cable so it contacts the end of the screw with the fast idle on.

Good topic with cold weather coming up.

My question: how much should the fast idle level raise your idle?
Currently I'm getting about 300 RPM's out of it which doesn't seem like much. Is it adjustment time???

Just need to adjust cable, unless it is actually broken, then replace cable.

I ususally get 500 rmp's out of my fast idle.

I have the service manual at home, but I'm here at work.  The service manual does specify where the fast idle rpm should be.

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 11 2006,10:40) I have the service manual at home, but I'm here at work.  The service manual does specify where the fast idle rpm should be.
You're at work.....that's funny. Some of us know better.
jump9.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 11 2006,10:40) I have the service manual at home, but I'm here at work.  The service manual does specify where the fast idle rpm should be.
I believe it gives a total RPM. But you would have to take into account your base RPM. The lever just adds to the base.

Back