Checking valves

Ezduzit

Registered
I have recently hit 10k on the clock, I was wondering about checking the valves, are special tools needed other than a torque wrench? What about checking the manual cam tentioner? Dealership wants $300 for both, is that a fair price or do it myself!
Posted via Mobile Device

Good question Ezduzit... wish I could help. Someone will be along shortly though, so here's another bump..:laugh:

Good question Ezduzit... wish I could help. Someone will be along shortly though, so here's another bump..:laugh:

It seems like you would have to pop up the tank, remove the airbox and take off the valve cover and torque them to spec! not sure about the manual cam tentioner(spelling) Oh yeah Thanks for the bump!

Yeah I am pretty handy and there was a lot to watch out for.
I just hope it is not "above the skill set" of who you take it to.
Best of luck!

Their pretty good, havent had any problems with them!

Here's the link you want.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/81303-how-inspect-your-valve-clearances.html

Checking the clearances is not that difficult. I just checked mine BUT I already had the airbox and throttle bodies off.

I have 15K miles and mine they were OK. Every post I've read say they these bikes generally don't need adjustment for at least 30K miles or more without adjustment.

I can do the routine stuff but this is a lil to much!

I can do the routine stuff but this is a lil to much!

Good for you for looking at it that way.
There is no shame to be on that learning curve.
The guys who don't realize their limits, do stuff that costs dollars and pain (when they crash)
Best not to fool yourself into being more confident than you are.
Good move. :beerchug:

This is one of those time were I will pay someone I trust, thanks again for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back