Checking Valves? How necessary?

Trax

Banned
How necessary is it to check the valves?
I have an 08 busa with around 35,000 miles on it and never had the valves checked, it seems to run ok.

Nothing personnel people of this forum but two days later with 47 views and not one reply?
Definitely not the same Hayabusa.org i remember a couple years ago.???

I've got 83K on my Gen I, and have never done a valve check. No need. It's the one thing that 99.5% of folks that check the valves, never need adjustment. The engines are so good that it's really unnecessary unless there are symptoms. It's a job that requires the engine be ice cold, and most repair shops will charge up to 6 hours to check.

If you only have 35K, I'll buy you a beer if any of your valves are out of adjustment. :laugh:

I had mine checked at 15kish and then again at 40kish. When I bought the bike used I had a year and a half left on a maintenance plan the previous owner bought - so all scheduled maintenance was free. Valves were 100% in spec still both checks. Now that the maintenance plan is expired, I probably will not check again until 100k :laugh:

I've got 83K on my Gen I, and have never done a valve check. No need. It's the one thing that 99.5% of folks that check the valves, never need adjustment. The engines are so good that it's really unnecessary unless there are symptoms. It's a job that requires the engine be ice cold, and most repair shops will charge up to 6 hours to check.

If you only have 35K, I'll buy you a beer if any of your valves are out of adjustment. :laugh:

What are the symptoms of a valve out of adjustment?

What are the symptoms of a valve out of adjustment?

I'm fortunate to say that I have no idea really, because my Busa is running like a champ. Starts every morning, get 40 mpg on average, idles smooth, has plenty of power, and there is no visible black or white smoke. I will do the valve adjustment check at 100K for sure next summer. Until then, I'll keep on Truckin'.

I had mine checked at 15kish and then again at 40kish. When I bought the bike used I had a year and a half left on a maintenance plan the previous owner bought - so all scheduled maintenance was free. Valves were 100% in spec still both checks. Now that the maintenance plan is expired, I probably will not check again until 100k :laugh:

Thats just what I wanted to hear, thank you.

Just my 2 cents - but 2 things drive me to check the valves as suggested in the owner's manual - 1) I kind of assume the Suzuki engineers that designed the engine have a rough idea of when they need checked and 2) when I had mine checked at 15,000 sure enough each valve was "wihin spec" but that didn't mean each cylinder was the same compression - so we played around with shims until all cylinders matched - so in my mind it was worth the expense - but then again it's just my 2 cents - ride safe

I had my valves checked at around 18000 miles ( 25000km ) and they were all within spec. However there was was quite a spread between how snug and how loose. So after the riding season was over I had my mechanic do a full adjust. All of the valves are now within 1mm of each other and set in the middle of the allowable range. I have no science to back me up but to me it is worth it to have all the valves real close for better performance. But I am also a guy who does his maintenance ahead of the recommended intervals. cheers..

Back