Checkin a 2003 Busa

emon07

Registered
Hello, I am new to the forum and considering buying an 03 Busa. I currently ride a 2k Honda VFR and 03 Yamaha R1. I am selling the Honda VFR and the Busa seems like a good replacement. I am looking at an 03 Busa with 14k mi and wanted to know what known problems to expect. Also are there brake upgrades for the Busa from Bembro or other manafacturers. For touring purposes: tire recommendations.

Thanks TMF here is a pic of the Busa I am looking at:

VP1764784_1_large.jpg

Hello, I am new to the forum and considering buying an 03 Busa. I currently ride a 2k Honda VFR and 03 Yamaha R1. I am selling the Honda VFR and the Busa seems like a good replacement. I am looking at an 03 Busa with 14k mi and wanted to know what known problems to expect. Also are there brake upgrades for the Busa from Bembro or other manafacturers. For touring purposes: tire recommendations.

The Busa is a great touring bike, when set up properly. I don't know if I'd say was better than the VFR, although it's certainly more powerful.

You don't need to change the OEM brakes. Just put braided lines and wave rotors on and you'll be fine.

I recommend the Michelin Power Pure tires.

EDIT: Just saw the pic. Looks like it's pretty much stock-standard, eh? Other than the screen/bar ends/grips, it doesn't appear to have been modded much. Just get a mechanic to give it a once-over, to make sure the engine is ok, no frame cracks, steering head bearing isn't effed. It should be ok.

Last edited:
The Busa is a great touring bike, when set up properly. I don't know if I'd say was better than the VFR, although it's certainly more powerful.

You don't need to change the OEM brakes. Just put braided lines and wave rotors on and you'll be fine.

I recommend the Michelin Power Pure tires.

EDIT: Just saw the pic. Looks like it's pretty much stock-standard, eh? Other than the screen/bar ends/grips, it doesn't appear to have been modded much. Just get a mechanic to give it a once-over, to make sure the engine is ok, no frame cracks, steering head bearing isn't effed. It should be ok.

Thanks for the info and advice!!!! The riders from down under have always been helpful to me - much respect to you.

:welcome: and nice looking bike. The only problem I have is I can't get this grin off my face. You'll enjoy it. Have fun and be safe.

The 03 covered all of the updates until the Gen II 08 was released. A good set of pads and lines will take care of most people desires, especially if you are interested in (sport-)touring tires. There are plenty of other aftermarket brake options. However if you are seriously considering that route, you might want to consider a Gen II bike.

I was comfortable stopping mine from 150mph with lines and HH pads. I do see an improvement with the Galfer rotors however.

I’ve spent some time on my brothers VFR. I think you’ll find it a good fit between the two. Close to the same weight as the VFR. Power to weight ratio closer to your 03-R1.

Hey Professor - you got me pegged correctly. I am a sport tourer and like having power available when needed. I thought about getting another VFR , Triumph Trophy/Sprint or even a BMW, but none of those bikes made any sense for me - the Busa and Blackbird are my only true choices since I am not in the market for a new bike. Did some reading on the Busa and the only things I found is the brakes are weak and need to be improved - steering head bearing wear - bike eats rear tires. Galfer rotors and SS brake line with Motul RBF 600, but don't you have to use Galfer pads with their rotors? If I go for a GenII I will need to save some more cash - it is an option to consider.

Galfer may want you to use their pads, but I believe there are other quality pads that would be fine. (I’m running Galfer pads)

Personally I think the complaints about the brakes on the Busa are exaggerated. Compared to a new 600 or Liter bike yes they are going to be lacking. You are stopping 125-150 more lbs.
The Gen II was updated to radial mounted calipers but for some reason Suzuki failed to include the better radial mounted master cylinder. Still the brakes on the Gen II bike are an improvement.

I have ridden an XX and two VFR 800s (1 with ABS). If you are happy with either, I can’t see how you would be disappointed with even a Gen II fitted with pads and brake lines.

On tires… you’ll need to search the threads carefully for someone who has the same riding style and desires. If it was me, I’d lean toward a SPORT-touring tire as opposed to a sport-TOURING tire if you get me. I’d rather buy a few extra tires and keep the extra stick. Riding style can kill a tire on a Busa quicker than most other bikes.

BTW I also was leaning toward the XX before I bought my Busa. :beerchug:

:welcome:
I highly recommend the Avon Storms for touring. They last a long time and are very good in the wet.

THanks!!! I have used the Avon Storm ST tyres and liked them. They are very good in the rain, only problem I had is they take awhile to warm up. I have used and like Dunlop RoadSmart tyres, but kinda want to try the Pirelli Angel ST tyres. Anyone using Dunlop RoadSmart or Pirelli Angel ST tyres?

I've got the angels on mine now, 4500 miles and holding up good. I do push them sometimes:whistle:

DAV_3706.jpg

Do you know anything about the bike? Any internal mods? Looks decent from the outside, but see what you can find out from the owner. Oh yeah, welcome to the org!

Something tells me if we have not heard from him since 2010 he probably didn't buy it. Does make you wonder though.???

Back