Check your tire pressure regularly

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
The bike was not handling as well as it normally did. I checked the air pressure, and I was WAY down on PSI (both on front and back).

She carves like she used to.
</end of preaching>

Have fun riding!

--Juggler

The bike was not handling as well as it normally did.  I checked the air pressure, and I was WAY down on PSI (both on front and back).

She carves like she used to.
</end of preaching>

Have fun riding!

--Juggler
That's why I suggest that we have a "Safety" forum to discuss issues such as this. Maybe one of the 'powers-that-be' might read this and take it into consideration. I've talked of doing this before, but no one really responded to it. Stuff like this really comes in handy for the new as well as the novice riders.

Brian

PSI should be 42 front and rear.
Remember pressure should be checked COLD.
Even 1 or 2 miles can increase the PSI.
I check mine once a week.
I've found that parking the tires on a flattened box reduces the
pressure loss. Carpet leftovers work well too.

42 fr. and rr. is the maximun and that is what they want u to leave the tires at. At 42 psi, your tires will wear in an abnormal patern if u dont hit twisties on regular basis. Mines at 28 fr. 28 rr. cold at all times. Then again i live in an area with very few twisties...dont need the tires any higher than 30 in the straights.

I use "Tire Minders," sometimes called "Tire Alerts." They stay on your valve stem and show different colors depending on your pressure -- green for <5psi off, yellow for 5-10psi off, red for >10psi off. You order them for whatever psi you want (I use 40 front and rear).

They're very light, so I don't expect that they upset the balance of the wheel, but you never know. Of course, how do you know these things are accurate? I check mine against a good gauge every month or so and they've been right on, so I can't complain. I don't remember where I got them, but they (or something very like them) can be found here:
http://www.garage-toys.com/timi2.html

I would politely disagree with Bence's Busa.
42 PSI period. If you go to a lower psi, especially in the straights, the tires will wear out much quicker. Highest tire life is at the proper psi.
I once killed a new pair of mezlers by not checking the psi on a long trip. I had new tires put on in the middle of a huge road trip and didn't check that they filled them properly. It put a nice flat spot in the rear and the front after 900 miles. Checked the psi and it was down to 28. That was riding mostly in the straights.

I was the same way u were buzz, religiously checking my air pressure on my zx750r and gsxr1000, 2 bikes one with dunlop and the other with bridegstone, making sure they were 42 and 42. Both bikes had the same symtom, as u call it (flat spot) and i could never figure out the reason. I finally learned from a local shop that the air pressure was too high in my tires, when they were putting my wheels and tires back together after the chroming. Almost 4000 miles of mostly interstate miles now and no "flat spot" on the busa tires. BTW....I trashed the tires on the ninja and gsxr , both after about 5000, mostly interstate miles. But like i said...maybe it's just us down south with different kind of roads.

Back