Cheap Cruise Control - Change From a Buck

sherm

Registered
Well, not exactly cruise control. Today I tried out an idea for a friction throttle lock on my H. Its the kind of thing that holds the throttle where you left it so your right hand is free to do all sorts of interesting things. It basically stops the spring return. I had one on my Goldwing and it made life easier on long trips.

The whole thing is made out of a bent 4" piece of 3/16" round steel rod. I bent the rod to a U shape around a one inch outside diameter pipe, which gives it just the right curvature.

Then this U shaped rod is jammed between the bar end weight and the rubber throttle grip. It is easily removed when not needed, and small enough to fit in your pocket.
You can see a picture at http://www.shermworks.com/cruz.jpg

It worked pretty well. While I was on "cruise" I tried taking both hands off the bars to see how stable the H is in the "no hands" mode. I was amazed - not the slightest shake or weave (didn't go faster than 100 mph).

Sherm, that sounds interesting. What are the chances of that little piece getting stuck?

And if it does get stuck, can you over power it easily?

[This message has been edited by maui (edited 09 November 1999).]

Sherm you are pure genius, this guy comes up with the most effective low cost mods.

I thought you could not beat that stand kit.

Seriously Sherm you are one innovative Busa owner.

maui, the u rod is wedged between the solid face of the bar end weight and the soft rubber of the throttle grip. The the u rod face is smooth so I don't think it can get in a position to jam the throttle. Just have to mess around with it to see what bugs show up.

The best way to get real comfortable with your bike is to go no hands,(In a safe area) I took a cruise control clip off of an old '77 Gold Wing and rigged it to fit the busa. I'm not kidding, take it through some mild turns and increase the level of difficulty the more comfortable you become, The worst that can happen is you have to grab the bar. Before anybody flames me on this try it. You can also run your choke in 6th gear and do a constant 45mph. Try it you will soon become one with your bike, I can take the busa through a full clover leaf hands free. That may not be a great feat but I am real comfortable on this machine.
Turtle
p.s trust your machine, it will do most of the work for you.

I made one this morning sherm, it seems like vibration will let the thottle go back. I'm going for about 140miles I'll let you know when I get back :)

Lost sherms new mod before I was 200' out my driveway, got to job, 1" wide threads showing half way round tire,only did 120 couple times on way. Busa had to ride home in back of truck. Almost like some of my harleys :)banged 3 bars on way home :)

Viol8r, I used 3/16" cold rolled steel rod for my gizmo. It fit nice and tight between the bar end weight and the rubber throttle grip. It stayed in for a two hour ride.
Maybe not all bikes have the same spacing between the bar end weight and the throttle grip. 3/16" worked good for me but may not work on other bikes.

Thanks for giving it a try.

I hope this might help you with your questions. I'm starting to think Sherm is McGyver.

I just put a regular ol' throttle lock on mine, tightened down the lock a bit so that the throttle stays where I put it but juuuust starts to return after a few seconds. Moving it is easy but it stays where you put it.

Works great. When you want it to stay exactly where I put it for an extended time, just thumb on the lock.

The only thing that may concern anyone about this setup is that you must manually take the throttle off. But after a couple of hours, it's second nature. I've even had emergency situations where I automatically have turned the throttle off without thinking about it.

I know, I know, someone is going to say, "but what if you crash? Your bike is going to keep reving away." To which I say, nope, lean angle sensor turns the bike off. I know as I've experienced just that scenario on a different bike.

Using this is now second nature.

BTW, there are real Cruise Controls for cycles out there. They are much more expensive than the ideas expressed in this thread, however; they do have one advantage over our "do-it-yourself" doodads - they keep a constant speed up and down hills. Doesn't sound like much until you start doing some real distances.

But, to each his own.

Later dudes,

Joe Zulaski

want a easy one, just use the choke lever you just adjust fast idle speed up a bit and you have a built in cruise ,works on mine

ray

Question, by turning the choke on, could that damage the enging. I seem to remember reading in my XX manual that could have ill effects. Does this apply to the busa?

**** rainman, I had that idea first :) Now Kawabuser thinks I am slow to naot mention it before :)
No the "chocke" will not hurt the engine on the Hayabusa. Its just an extra trottle cable. Nothine except the trottle is affected, no injection sensor, no nothing.
:)

Back