Chatter Question

Jason75

Registered
Hey All,

New to the forum and there is likely other threads on this topic but I though maybe I could get some help with an unresolved issue.

I have a buddy's 99 in my garage. Issue is, whe I release the clutch about 2/3 of the way out the bike chatters and almost feels like the chain is skipping over the front sprocket but it's not. Once I get rolling it shifts through the gears fine. Goes into neutral fine, responsive on the throttle but as soon as I reach that point on the clutch it chatters. The chatter is pretty bad.

Took the clutch out and didn't find anything much wrong with it. Some wear and play in the cam set and a minor amount in clutch hub...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Hey All,

New to the forum and there is likely other threads on this topic but I though maybe I could get some help with an unresolved issue.

I have a buddy's 99 in my garage. Issue is, whe I release the clutch about 2/3 of the way out the bike chatters and almost feels like the chain is skipping over the front sprocket but it's not. Once I get rolling it shifts through the gears fine. Goes into neutral fine, responsive on the throttle but as soon as I reach that point on the clutch it chatters. The chatter is pretty bad.

Took the clutch out and didn't find anything much wrong with it. Some wear and play in the cam set and a minor amount in clutch hub...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Ive been searching the forum and I have a problem almost identical to this and cant find an answer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ive been searching the forum and I have a problem almost identical to this and cant find an answer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Does it make the sound when in neutral? Clutch in? Clutch out? When the bike is stationary? In certain gears only? At a certain point on the clutch lever release? Consistently? Can you localize where (on the bike) the sound is coming from? The clutch side, maybe? Are you experiencing a loss of drive when the sound occurs? Would be a great help to the local experts (not me) if you could upload the sound thru a video link.

Does it make the sound when in neutral? Clutch in? Clutch out? When the bike is stationary? In certain gears only? At a certain point on the clutch lever release? Consistently? Can you localize where (on the bike) the sound is coming from? The clutch side, maybe? Are you experiencing a loss of drive when the sound occurs? Would be a great help to the local experts (not me) if you could upload the sound thru a video link.
It usually does it when releasing the clutch to take off in first and then it shifts fine through all the gears. It also does it every so often when i am downshifting and letting the clutch go again. It sounds like its coming from the front sprocket area. When it started I pulled the sprocket cover and cleaned the slave cylinder rod and inspected the sprocket, i also flushed the clutch fluid and put DOT 4 back in it. It almost sounds like the chain is skipping the front sprocket. I cleaned, waxed, and adjusted the chain still nothing new. Doesn't do it neutral, no power loss im stumped.

It usually does it when releasing the clutch to take off in first and then it shifts fine through all the gears. It also does it every so often when i am downshifting and letting the clutch go again. It sounds like its coming from the front sprocket area. When it started I pulled the sprocket cover and cleaned the slave cylinder rod and inspected the sprocket, i also flushed the clutch fluid and put DOT 4 back in it. It almost sounds like the chain is skipping the front sprocket. I cleaned, waxed, and adjusted the chain still nothing new. Doesn't do it neutral, no power loss im stumped.

Surprised no one else has commented on this. And I'm not as diagnosis savvy as most of the gearheads on this site, but you might want to start here: 1st & 2nd gear popping? | Busa problems, which discusses the cush drive. A pretty simple (and free) place to start if you have a way of removing the rear wheel.

This thread (2nd gear slipping | Busa problems) suggests a slack chain, but you've already covered that apparently. Again, for free, you could re-check the chain slack.

This thread (3rd gear slipping, clutch problem? | Busa problems) - in surprising detail - addresses clutch slippage: symptoms, remedies...

And this one (2006 busa trans jumping??? | Busa problems) talks about symptoms that reminded me of yours and the OP's.

If you use Chrome as your browser: you can direct it to search this site (or any site, really) for key words/phrases by entering this in the search bar:
site:hayabusa.org ... followed by whatever phrase you're after. (Ex: site:hayabusa.org chain slip) ... which is how I arrived at the threads above.

Hope this helps!

[EDIT] by the way, using the search function suggested above yielded 408 hits, FYI

Last edited:
Surprised no one else has commented on this. And I'm not as diagnosis savvy as most of the gearheads on this site, but you might want to start here: 1st & 2nd gear popping? | Busa problems, which discusses the cush drive. A pretty simple (and free) place to start if you have a way of removing the rear wheel.

This thread (2nd gear slipping | Busa problems) suggests a slack chain, but you've already covered that apparently. Again, for free, you could re-check the chain slack.

This thread (3rd gear slipping, clutch problem? | Busa problems) - in surprising detail - addresses clutch slippage: symptoms, remedies...

And this one (2006 busa trans jumping??? | Busa problems) talks about symptoms that reminded me of yours and the OP's.

If you use Chrome as your browser: you can direct it to search this site (or any site, really) for key words/phrases by entering this in the search bar:
site:hayabusa.org ... followed by whatever phrase you're after. (Ex: site:hayabusa.org chain slip) ... which is how I arrived at the threads above.

Hope this helps!

[EDIT] by the way, using the search function suggested above yielded 408 hits, FYI
Thanks alot looks like I have some reading to do. When i searched it only showed a handful of results but I don't own a computer so it may be different from a phone view. Im hoping it's the first result you posted but I won't be off for a few days to really do any work on it. I'll let you know if I find anything when I do though. Thanks again!

Back