Charleston SC. May 4-6th

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
my family and i will be comeing in fri may 4th in the afternoon into charelston for weekend as my son is graduateing from his college in Spartanburg and transfering to college of charelston. he wants to show us the campus but we also want to RELAX... take in sights if we want...and for sure hit the beach. any recomendations of things to do...places to go...whats best area beach wise and inexpensive accomidations would be greatly appreciated.. thought i would send this out to the org family before i commit to plans. thanks in advance... chris n mary.

Your best bet is to not stay in the city, look into North Charleston, or Summerville. As far as things to do, well in May the sky is the limit, of course we have the beaches, we also have a lot of little local things like Spoleto the aquarium(sp) , the half naked coeds in Marion square ( um dont tell the wife lol), really cool shopping in the market, can go and see the Hunley, Or go out for a nice dinner, some of the best food in the world is right here in my home town lol. There is also the York Town just across the river that many enjoy ( I went there every year for school feild trips bleh) Then we have the horse drawn carriage rides, the walking ghost tours, museum's and much more. Or if you get totaly bored, give me a call I can take you around to some bike hang outs. Shoot me a PM and I wil give ya my number.

Oh almost forgot, you will be real close to The Citadel college. Always worth a walk through

I visited a few months ago. Like ditchdr said, don't stay in the city. Charleston was ok, but kinda disappointing from what I was expecting. Summerville is nice, get a place there. I took the Calhoun mansion tour while I was there and I recommend it. It's the largest private residence in Charleston and has a lot of history. The interior shots from the movie the notebook were filmed there.

well we know our son wants to show us the college of charleston wich is right in the middle of the city...but we want to enjoy the beaches also...and we have been wanting to go back to a aquarium

The aquarium is pretty good, lots of history if that's ur thing, carriage ride for you and the wifey :whistle:

North Charleston, I know you're not sending him into North Charleston :laugh:

The aquarium is pretty good, lots of history if that's ur thing, carriage ride for you and the wifey :whistle:

North Charleston, I know you're not sending him into North Charleston :laugh:

+1 on N Charleston :whistle: Carriage rides are cool and educational.

Take a trip to Fort Sumter (via boat). Hang out at White Point Gardens. Go over the bridge a few times (yea, we did that for fun... lol). Haven't been to Patriot's Point, but it looked cool as we drove by.

Also you can just walk around downtown.

well we are going to not try to stay in charleston...looking for hotels 15 miles away to be in an affordable price range... suggestions on beaches? specific islands or areas easy to get to?

Beaches Isle Of Plams, Folly, Edisto, Kiawah, Seabrook, and Sullivans.

15 mies away is my town called Hanahan. You can get a room near there air port, Or get a room at one of the hotels right off the interstate next to Northwoods Mall. I think you tod me you were there once.

CoC has no "campos" to say. It is pretty much a bunch of buildings in a few blocks of downtown. The Citadel is only a mile or 2 from there. Pretty sure you can catch a baseball game at the Joe if thats your thing, and if you do, get a gater dog, good stuff.

Do3 is right, North Charleston is not a tourest town. There are some cool things there, but a lot of bad people at night.

If your into history then you will be like a pig in mud here. Take a walk around the Battery, a private carrage ride, or roof top dinner at Vendoo is a good couples thing.

Dang, they didnt leave anything for me to say! But one i dont think they mentioned was 1st Sun downtown! On the first Sun of the month they block off streets downtown and vendors and the shops have great deals! As well as great food! I have a ball down there each time I go!

bummer...im sure i will be starting to head back as it will be at least a 10-12 hr trip

ok i set up reservations in Mount pleasant right by the bay just east of charleston off of bridge and just north of patriots point... thanks to resident evil...40 a night for hotel including pool and hot breakfast!!

so....anyone want to meet up...hit me up with contact numbers and mabey might get together

I think you have my number, shoot me a text when you get some time. Your gona love your hotel, the harbor is lovely at night. Any you will be like 3 or 4 miles from your kids school.

sent pm to keaton also... moe...havent heard from ya...anyone else want to at least say hey?

looks like all the good info has been passed out - I would check out Shem Creek and perhaps Reds, good food, Great location! Patriot Bridge is a lot of fun to ride over on your bike (or even in a cage). I enjoyed Folley Beach for some fun in the sun but finding parking can be a challenge. Hmmm, also liked Queen Anne's Revenge on Daniels Isle for a little flair with your food, then of course there's Los Reyes Mexican food, and a good chain is Fatz in N. Charleston. Some things to check out can be found on King Street in Charleston... Should be a blast! Keep us posted I lived there for about a year and really liked the town/people.

Back