charging voltage

supernova777

Registered
Hi there!

(posted in rectifier recall thread without luck..)

I just replaced the rectifier and take the V/meter for some measurements:
14.2 at idle- 14.5 V at 3.000 rpm and above (same with old unit) but when cooling fan operate drop to 12.2 to 12.5 V (never had such measurement with old one .. :banghead: )
Is this reasonable?
The manual indicate 13.5 to 15.5 at 5000 rpm (regardless of cooling fan?)
I also noticed that the rectifier became very hot-untouchable after ride..
(almost 90 F ambient temp.)

everything sounds about the same from what i remember when i was troubleshooting mine a while back bc the rectifier was crappin out, other than the voltage droppin to 12.5v. Somebody will correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the voltage should drop below approximately 13.1v, which should be the resting voltage with the bike turned completely off. Have never felt my rectifier after a ride to see how hot it gets, but if it is un-touchable hot after a ride i would think that is not normal, and u probably have a faulty rectifier?? If u still have the old one, swap it in for a few and see if u still have the same results. I would keep a very close eye on it and wait for more knowledgable folks to chime in before u go take a couple hour long ride and then get stranded bc it won't start, almost happened to me a few times when my rectifier was mal-functioning

Thanks Hemi, i have exactly the same thoughts...
Unfortunally i no longer have the old rectifier to compare voltages and temperatures, so i will follow your advice..
I hope somebody have measurements of charging system at full load (with high beam and cooling fan on)

Rectifiers do get hot, thats why they have cooling fins and are located where they are for maximum air flow, never checked the voltage on my bike though, just never needed too...

Thank you Smac for your input! I know that these babies are hot but in another approach the main reason of rectifier failure is the very high temperatures.
My stupidity is that i didn't measure the charging voltage before the change with the cooling fan on..
Dadofthree i did the recall for piece of mind.. what a joke :rofl:
Anyway if the 'grip it and rip it" does not work i will try the "grip it and tow it" :laugh:
Thanks again!

Finally having mine changed out for the recall as we speak

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back