Charging system

fast old guy

Registered
Have new 06 Busa with 3000 miles. Positive battery cable rubbing on frame rubbed through rubber boot and shorted out. All lights went out and engine died. After afew hours after i had the bike at the dealership it started but they tell me that the charging system is fried. Is there no main fuse or anything? Sound like a lot of damage for just a short out.

I would say that since you have and 06. with 3000 miles, thank goodness for warranty coverage.

However as the case with many bikes, there is NO protection from the stator to regulator, which is probably bad now. which is what they mean by the charging system being dead.

There is of course a "main fuse" - I've never looked at the schematic that covers the charging system (thankfully - haven't had to yet.....) but none the less, if its a BAD short meaning a direct high amperage (battery would definatly fit this category) a fuse still has a response time. Any number of things can happen in the very few nanoseconds it takes for a fuse to go.

Back