Charging system issue

race24x

Registered
I found the issue with my 00 Busa and thought I would share even though it seems pretty obvious, you never know. My bike stopped charging once or twice intermittantly. When it finally stopped for good charging I took it apart and found the connection to the rectifier was melted and making poor connection. I fixed the two wires that had melted but found the others were still so bad of a connection they where getting hot as well. I replaced all the connections (which I will be labeling with color coded zip ties) and found the wires to remain nice and cool now. I am sure had I looked at it sooner I could have cleaned them and put some dielectic grease in there to help, but my laziness caught up with me and I ended up replacing all of the ends. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

so after ten years of use you finaly overheated the wires at the connector. :laugh: I'm just joking. Yea, from all of the heat, abuse, and gunk buildup I've heard of failures at the connector. Glad you got it sorted. :beerchug:

10 years and about 65K... I say about because the speedo hasnt worked for the last 4 years. Anyone have a spped sensor I could borrow to test with LOL

race24x,
The bikes in your stable brings back very fond memories, man...specially the gixxers!

Good point---thanks for sharing that info race24x.... I had to just flat out replace my rectifier after it went south...seems like you got some good longevity out of it-- glad you got it sorted and fixed:beerchug:

I loved the old gixxers now my 16 year old daughter has a 95 GSXR 750 so soon we will be riding together. Scary the first time I watched her take off and drive away from me shifting threw the gears. I thought it would be great to ride with her like we did on dirtbikes but I have to admit I got a little sick to my stomach. I guess some grease would help for sure on those connections that have high voltage anyway...

Back