Charging problem solved

Black&Bluebusa

Registered
Ok, long story!
Last year after going 2 miles my battery goes dead, I get it home recharge the battery and tested it - no charge - restart the bike and it's charging
rock.gif
?? I run all the test on stator, reg ect. All test are good so I bought a cheap digital volt meter @ Radio Shack so I can keep an eye on things and had no problems the rest of the year. This year I finnally caught the bugger (voltage regulator) Road her all day and parked her for 1 hr and started her back up and no charge so I put the suzuki tool bag to the test and removed the rear tail section to gain access to the regulator. I found the regulator was hot to touch(not good) and disconected the stator connector first(yellow wires under tank) and the idle jumped up too 2 grand (it's working) then I disconnected the regulator connector and no change but a big spark came out of the connector (all connectors had been cleaned and delectric grease applied last year) so it had to be the regulator even though all test were good. After disconncting it and then plugged it back in -boom started charging again) I got a new regulator last month and the bigest this I noticed is the regulator does not heat up at idle only when the rpm's are up. Old regulator voltage readings were 14.5 riding and 15. idle no load - new one is 14.3 riding and 15. idle no load. So I guess sometimes you just have to catch a gremlin in the act.

Hope this helps anybody thats had a similar problem with a random no charge and remember all my test were done with the Suzuki repair manual I downloaded from Hyabusa.org. It gave all the info But not all the answers.

Radio shack

This little bugger saved me from breaking down in the middle of the road and helped catch the gremlin in the act!!

<!--EDIT|Black&amp;Bluebusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119705367 -->

good catch!! detective work pays off
smile.gif

(your link took me to cell phone ad) I thought the rectifier was all solid state? odd it would cause the draw and then work ok..

Glad you found it. Intermittent problems stink. I've got a similar problem with my tool truck right now.

Back