charging/battery problem?

apbrian112

Registered
hey guys (and gals), my busa's having a problem holding a charge.
i just put in a new battery last week and it wouldn't hold a charge overnight.
i put a battery tender on it til it was fully charged then performed some tests according to the service manual. here are the numbers:

1. Battery current leak inspection. manual says anything under 3mA is good.
my reading: .75/.90 mA it changes from .75 to .90 then back again (continually with about a second inbetween)

2. Charging output inspection. manual says anything between 13.4-15.1 V
my reading: 14.5 V at 5000 RPM.

now according to those two readings (w/i spec), the manual says that it's either: bad battery or abnormal driving conditions (but since i'm not driving/riding it, and it's dying over the period of 1 night i'm counting out "abnormal driving conditions").
specs on bike:
-2001 hayabusa
-30,000 mi
mods: pcIII, K@N filter, modded mid-pipes, tre, lowered front and rear.

thanks for any help you guys/gals can offer thanks. :thumbsup:

oh, almost forgot. while i was doing the tests, i was checking the wires coming out of the stator and it when i unplugged it, there was a oily substance in and around the plug (i'm guessing this is dielectric grease). is this normal?

Just curious what is the battery reading after sitting all night ? Sounds like you need to take the battery back.

You might want to put it on the tender and leave it there.

New batteries typically need a few charge recharge cycles to come up and act right. I think leaving it on the tender a while will do that.

I killed mine once by leaving the key in park over night :whistle:

i checked it last night after it sat for 2 days and it was reading just above 10V (can't remember exact reading). then this morning i unhooked it to take back to the shop i got it from and it was reading 8.8V.

the shop has it and they said they're waiting from a rep from wherever they get their batteries from to come check it. if it's bad they'll replace it, if it's good then i'm stuck trouble shooting some more.

They might just be charging it, anyway from what I've read minus the actual battery connection which shouldn't cause the battery to drop like that, you're probably looking at a new battery.

Been cranking my bike once a week for months and it still cranks like a champ. Bought the battery tander but haven't installed yet. I know, I know, I need to.

so basically, can't ride this weekend.

oh, one more thing: when i took my battery in, the mechanic said that it's probably something on my bike is draining my battery or my charging system that's not working. i explained to him that i did the "current leak inspection" and "charging system inspection" and that all my readings were well w/i specs.

what else, other than a bad battery, could cause this?

Nothing in my limited experience. As stated the bike is charging the battery, and the drain on the bike is very low / within limits. Like stated before if you're not placing the keyswitch in the park position you should be good.

Did you try charging the battery and leaving it unhooked from the bike and seeing if it drops voltage. That would steal their thunder about it being your bike doing it.

Back