Changing your own tires?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
About a year ago i read a post about those who change their own tires... i am getting tired of paying $18 per tire.

I think the old post said something about Northern Tool Co.

Who of you do that and where did you get the equipt? and cost? Degree of difficulty?

Thanx - Kent

Ok fellaz, I just did the tire changing thing and heres what I would suggest on using to get the tire off and on with ease.

First/// for $58 you can purchase a tire changing tool from http://www.harborfreight.com/ that will make dismounting the tire with ease  using the instruction from this link http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange. When mounting the tire onto the rim use step six instructions on the following link http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html.  Dont ask why, just do it !

Helpful tipz:
1. Remove the tire valve stem to completely remove all the air from the tire.
2.Use soap water on the tire bead as a lubricant when lifting the tire off the rim when using the breaker bar .
3.When mounting your tires all you need is a small wallmart air compressor. If the tires are having a hard time to seal just pound on the tire perimeter (not the rim) with a hammer with the compressor still running. Next thing you will hear should be a single loud pop followed by a second pop confirming that the tire bead has sealed. "Be sure to keep your finger away from the rim." and wear eye protection.

For balancing the front tire I made my own balancing bar using two 6" x 3/4 male threaded black pipe , two brass 3/4" reduced down to 1/2 threaded nipple , combined with using a  single 5"x 1/2 threaded male pipe.

Basic construction on each side of the balancing bar will consist of one 6"x3/4" black pipe attached to the the 3/4 side of the brass nipple . Then screw  the 5"x1/2" pipe into the reduced 1/2" opening on the otherside of the brass nipple thats attached to the black pipe.  Once that is done slide the combined pieces through the front tire and screw on the other parts in the reverse order. Now the rim bearing will be resting on your newly assemble balancing bar that only costed no more than $15.
I got mo time than money  
biggrin.gif

One more note on the brass fittings I would suggest filing the edges down on a angle where you would normally attach a cresent wrench, to keep the rim bearing dust cap from rubbing when balancing your tire.

With the balancing bar assembled and going through your rim place it on two tire jack stands and continue with the above link for balancing.

DSC02042_0258.jpg

DSC02046_0262.jpg

DSC02048_0264.jpg

DSC02045_0261.jpg

My $15 tire balancer compared to this $115 tire balancer.
RSF1.JPG

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113955987 -->

It should'nt take you no more than 5 min to remove and put a tire back on a rim with the links I posted.

Good Luck

TY

Rythm, you got that Harbor Freight changer with Cycle tire attachment?

here :  

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113856413 -->

Group: Moderators
Avg posts/day:3.15
Location: Hilo - Hawaii / Chico - California Posted: April 18 2005,21:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here : Click [/QUOTE]

THatz the one HI .

here :
That's what I use, too. I do my own tires now. That's a good link on that write-up, Rhythm. Good lookin' out, bro.
beerchug.gif

Another tip that I got from a fellow busa rider is to get a couple big c-clamps from like Home Depot and use some wood and the clamps to hold one side of the tire bead in the "well" to create slack for getting that last bit down on the opposite side on the stubborn mounts. I'm gonna get a couple clamps and make me a clamping face out of wood that will squeeze a decent sized section of the tire together on one side and keep the bead down in the well. That's truly the trick to getting that last bit of bead over the rim.
wink.gif

BINGO....got it.

There used to be pics, but I dunno what happened to 'um. Rythm has a pretty good link too....I think we're all set.
biggrin.gif

Hey Train, you dont need the c- clamps. When I first did it I use the c-clamp but now all I use is a small piece of wood to keep the tire channeled  into the center of the rim .  I already tried the clamp and wood trick with no luck. Trust me on this one . Follow the number six instruction on the last link, three tire irons and a piece of wood and three plastic sleeves is all you will need. Actually I only used  three plastic sleeves one tire iron and two pry bars that I rounded the tipz using my grinder going back about 2" back on the square neck of the pry barx.  Eithier have a person hold the tire iron B down then start leap frogging A and C tire iron til the tire is on the rim.  I had no problem doing it by myself. With my right hand holding the tire iron A down and while using the  back of my knee holding tire iron B I just leap frogged tire iron A and C with my right and left hand.

If you need any more help just holla.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113871019 -->

If you go back up to my first response on this post and carefully follow my instruction your balance bar will look similar to this.
UNIV.JPG

As soon as I get my camera or usb fixed on my computer I will post the photos of my homemade balancing bar using Home Depot plumbing parts.

Total cost to make my jerry rigged balance bar was less than $15 compared to the $115 price tag on the one above.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113871882 -->

show 'em how it's done, bro!

He77a cool....plumbing parts! I got this topic tracked, bud!

Thanx Guyz, dis is good stuff! I went to Harbor Freight today, they just opened recently here about a mile from my house... and I got the portable changer w/ the motorcycle adaptor for $83. I'll keep you updated on the progress...

Train or Rythm post up some pics when you can. Thanx eh? - Kento

You guys rock! The info that is available on this site by the members is unbelievable! Thank you!!!

This is in NO WAY meant as a slam toward anyone who posted here, but it does seem kinda funny to read where people get excited about the prospect of changing their own bike tires.....lol

It was not all that long ago that doing it yourself was about the only option. Time and technology does funny things I guess.

Wow, reading that makes me sound like an Old F*****r

One thing that does concern me though, I am not so sure that using the old style balance beam system to balance a tire that some people may plan on taking beyond the speed of sound, is such a grand idea. A computer spin balancer can detect slight anomalies that will only be found when the tire is creating harmonic frequencies.

Hey you old fartbag quit raining on our parade
tounge.gif
J/K

Good point about the harmonic frequency !
I will make a promise to you Helibusa if I decide to go faster than the speed of sound I'll have my tires computer balanced for you and me
tounge.gif

This is in NO WAY meant as a slam toward anyone who posted here, but it does seem kinda funny to read where people get excited about the prospect of changing their own bike tires.....lol   [/QUOTE]

It aint about changing tires,Playa, its all about taking care of your own shiat and saving some chees cuz this shiat adds up and these boyz will hit your azz over the head with the outrageous prices they charge you to mount and balance a tire you just bought from them . I cant count how many times I have heard  or read about some grease monkey at the dealership or bike shop scratchn up somebody rims or droppn their bike off the stand or like a current situation . The mechanic put on a new tire for a customer then decide to take it out for spin but never made it back to the shop in one piece but rather in pieces.

Peace Out
Ty

tounge.gif

Heres the parts list for building your own tire balancer. When you have assembled all of  the pieces it will look similar to this one below that cost $115 compared to the $15 Home Depot plumbing parts I gathered to make my own .

RSF1.JPG

DSC02042_0258.jpg

DSC02046_0262.jpg

DSC02048_0264.jpg

DSC02045_0261.jpg

Back