Changing the Sprockets

sessions

Registered
I did a search for this question and couldn't find anything. I just got my steel sprockets in today 16front and 43 back. How hard is it to change them out What tools will I need? I've never done this before and im just wondering what complications are in front of me if any!!! thanks

You might need an impact gun for the front. Unless you jamb up the rear wheel with a pipe tru the spoke. I med. lock tite all bolts after.

The hardest part usually is loosening the front sprocket nut especially the first time. An impact driver makes the job much easier and less stressful.

I did both mine this year, front is a bit more work but straight forward. I don't know if anyone else hard this problem, but when I was putting the new one on the rear ALL the bolts stripped!! I wasn't even on it hard and they all failed. And the nut has a lip on it so the nut doesn't back off so I had to dremal all of them off. great, and at $4.00 a bolt plus nuts it was great f-up.. I swear they used bolts made of swiss cheese cause I've had more bolt strip/break than any other bike or car I've owend!!! Are you listening Suzuki??!!

+1 on using a 1/2" impact gun on the front sprocket...make sure the trans is in neutral when you use the impact...other than a rear stand (makes it easier) just normal hand tools will get the job done.

Rear axle nut is a 36MM...don't remember what the nut size is on the front sprocket.

+1 on using a 1/2" impact gun on the front sprocket...make sure the trans is in neutral when you use the impact...other than a rear stand (makes it easier) just normal hand tools will get the job done.

Rear axle nut is a 36MM...don't remember what the nut size is on the front sprocket.
+1... the long pipe may work but it does induce stresses that can break or twist things.. the manual states to use an "impact" (Harbor Freight for around $35 you can get an electric 1/2 job)

I did a search for this question and couldn't find anything. I just got my steel sprockets in today 16front and 43 back. How hard is it to change them out What tools will I need? I've never done this before and im just wondering what complications are in front of me if any!!! thanks

what kind of chain did you get?

What year ? my '06 was easy did not need an air wrench or cheater, however you will need a 35 mm socket for the Gen 1, or least that's what I needed for my '06.

There's a keeper on the outside that comes off using an allen wrench. again '06

Impact for the front. Air or a cheap Harbor freight electric will do just fine :thumbsup:

He probably didnt get as good of one as you could have sold him, or couldn't have gotten one anywhere that could have provided as good of tech support as you could have. :moon:

He might have :moon: :rofl: at least he got one. Some have just swapped them and kept old chain... :rofl:

Last edited:
Whats up guys? As you all can tell from my screen name I dont ride a busa. I was looking around and found this site.

This is How I did my front sprocket. Before you take off the rear wheel take the front sprocket cover off, have someone hold the rear brake then losen the front sprocket nut. After you get everything changed before you adjust the chain hold the brake again and tighten the sprocket nut. This way you're not sticking something in your wheel like mentioned above.

B@DA$$08BUS I wont say it loud but your right black and orange is faster. Not bad for camera phone pic.
bikepictwo2.jpg

bikepicthree1.jpg

Whats up guys? As you all can tell from my screen name I dont ride a busa. I was looking around and found this site.

This is How I did my front sprocket. Before you take off the rear wheel take the front sprocket cover off, have someone hold the rear brake then losen the front sprocket nut. After you get everything changed before you adjust the chain hold the brake again and tighten the sprocket nut. This way you're not sticking something in your wheel like mentioned above.

B@DA$$08BUS I wont say it loud but your right black and orange is faster. Not bad for camera phone pic.
bikepictwo2.jpg

bikepicthree1.jpg

Good looken bike, and welcome to the org.

I did mine without impact wrenches ... put a piece of 2x4 over the swing arm ... wasn't that hard .. 105 ft/lbs on torque wrench to get it back on though. Search the threads ... :thumbsup:

Back