Changing oils

rdnckjim

Registered
Well apparently the budget crunch has hit our base and they are shutting down everything that might lose money. This includes the only store on base over here in England that sells motorcycle oil. Only thing they had left was this Valvoline Motorcycle Oil. Anyone try it or have anything they would like to comment about it. I am running royal purple right now and some of these bike stores over here sell some interesting oil that I have never heard of. Thanks

I don't know about changing up oil. Always been told not to, but I know I'd stick with the same type of oil, makeup, etc.

Find a Halfords and look in there I run Castrol power 1 4t 10W/40 part synthetic, this is because they put this in on my first service.
Look on their web site and see if there is a shop near you.

Well apparently the budget crunch has hit our base and they are shutting down everything that might lose money. This includes the only store on base over here in England that sells motorcycle oil. Only thing they had left was this Valvoline Motorcycle Oil. Anyone try it or have anything they would like to comment about it. I am running royal purple right now and some of these bike stores over here sell some interesting oil that I have never heard of. Thanks

I see you are at Lakenheath, I did 6 years there from 99-05 and I feel your pain about your selection of products being limited. If I were you, I would have a family member find some where that sells what you are looking for and send it to you via parcel post way ahead of time. It can be mailed with out any problem if the original factory wrapping is not compromised. Also, there used to be a speed shop on high street in Mildenhall on the left side next to I think the Queens Head pub. They may have something for you. Another option may be to go to the service station on RAF Mildenhall and see if they can special order you something. There are many options available to you, just have to find the right one for you. PM me if you are not comfortable talking about the particulars on the forum.

Find a Halfords and look in there I run Castrol power 1 4t 10W/40 part synthetic, this is because they put this in on my first service.
Look on their web site and see if there is a shop near you.

That is another thing, Cambridge is just a quick buzz down the motorway from you. There has to be somewhere there that can supply you with what you are looking for. You are going to have to pay the exchange rate prices, but at least you know you are getting what you need.

Well I have not been able to find royal purple over here locally, but I have not been everywhere. I gonna do some looking to see what I can find off base, they seem to be shutting down a lot of cool stuff over here to save money. And when they transfer it over to the bx or shopette they only bring half of what they normally sell at the car care center. I'm waiting on a reply from autozone on shipping moto oil over here. Not sure if it is legal/illegal according to british customs and regs. But if its okay to ship im shipping it over. Bikes down for maintanence for a while so there is no hurry. Thanks everyone.

Since you are already right there in England, you might want to consider using one of the finest motorcycle oils on the planet... Silkolene by FUCHS:

FUCHS Silkolene in the U.K.

c9a2c254-f19f-41e6-b7c5-2046ff4d45693578E0-400-0.JPEG

I personally use their COMP 4 15W-50 SemiSynthetic during the summer here in the Desert West, and the above COMP 4 10W-40 the rest of the year.

Not inexpensive... the Good $hit rarely is.... :thumbsup:

As I mentioned before James, you can have your family or friends mail you things parcel post to your APO address as long as the factory seal is not broken on the box of oil you are mailing. If they are keeping at least one service shop up and running between the two bases, check with them about special orders. Also, there used to be a parts/service desk in the back of the BXtra on Mildenhall, you might want to check there as well. They were back near the tools and other automotive things, but that was 7 years ago.

Good luck and let us know if we can be of service. Thank you for your service and stay safe.

Since you are already right there in England, you might want to consider using one of the finest motorcycle oils on the planet... Silkolene by FUCHS:

FUCHS Silkolene in the U.K.

c9a2c254-f19f-41e6-b7c5-2046ff4d45693578E0-400-0.JPEG

I personally use their COMP 4 15W-50 SemiSynthetic during the summer here in the Desert West, and the above COMP 4 10W-40 the rest of the year.

Not inexpensive... the Good $hit rarely is.... :thumbsup:

+1
You find Silkolene in the crankcase of the occasional MotoGP bike.
Good stuff.. If I couldn't get Motul, Silkolene would be my next choice.

I don't know about changing up oil. Always been told not to, but I know I'd stick with the same type of oil, makeup, etc.

No disrespect meant, but....
You do realize that is exactly what everyone does when they go to any synthetic oil. When the bike is assembled at the dealer shop it gets regular old dinosaur oil.

Oils are interchangeable. You can mix them if you want. That is the industry standard that all the manufacturers abide by. Any decent MC oil will do if you change it every 3000 miles. If you want extended drain intervals then you need a great synthetic. Good Luck!

Back