changing front pads

teddypenn

Registered
i read a post on another forum that says you can replace the front brake pads without taking the wheel or calipers off. that you just remove the plate off the top of the caliper then lift the pads up and out. is this possible? it seems too easy to be true. anyone done this?

Only problem I see is that you need some way to push the pistons back into the caliper to fit the new, thicker pads. Oh, and watch the brake fluid reservoir level to make sure it doesnt try to overflow onto the levers, bar, paint, forks, etc.

Last edited:
yeah, i was worried about having enough clearance room to push the calipers back out to get the new pads in there. and i plan an replacing the fluid when i change the pads out, so ill empty the res. a bit first.

Only two bolts to take off the caliper. Can be done without taking the front wheel off.

i couldnt get my caliper bracket bolts to budge. i was about to "round" em off before i gave up. i know how to change the brakes, i just cant get the efn calipers off, so im lookin for alternative ways to go about it. times like this i wish i had an air compressor :banghead:

Wow, bolts shouldn't be that tight. Did you try a breaker bar? Also, the threads are standard, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

i couldnt get my caliper bracket bolts to budge. i was about to "round" em off before i gave up. i know how to change the brakes, i just cant get the efn calipers off, so im lookin for alternative ways to go about it. times like this i wish i had an air compressor :banghead:

I wouldn't use a compressor. Try using some of the un-stuck spray. Be careful and make sure you're turning the right way.

you aren't using the tool kit that came with it are you?
use a ratchet

never tried the tools from the kit. ive tried with a ratchet, and some wrenches. i know to go left, and i know they shouldnt be that tight. there were 6600 miles on the bike when i bought it, so maybe the previous owner over tightened them :dunno:

put masking tape on your wheels grab the caliper foirmly and "rock" it back and forth the piston will move in and allow new pads top be installed. My preferred method is to R&R calipers and use torque wrench when reinstalling.

They shouldn't be on that hard, even w/ thread locker on them from the factory. Use a 1/2" drive breaker bar w/ a 6pt socket to give the leverage needed (if you didn't already).

+1 on the correct torque when reinstalling, too many folks overlook it.

Hmmmm, if nothing different helps try to get a "big bore" nut that covers the screw's head and weld both together. The heat will loosen the srew a bit and the nut gives you the possibility for the next try....

Ciao
D1

Back