Changing Fork Seals

Fredyp33

Registered
I noticed a leak in my left fork and decided to take it in to have the seal replaced. I'll probably get both done at once to be even on the replacement dates. But I found out that if I just bring in the forks to the stealership, it costs about half as much as bringing in the whole bike. Well anyway, can anyone give me some info on taking off the front forks? I'm pretty good nechanically, but am by no means a mechanic. Also, I've got bike stands, but the front one is for use on the forks? Any help would be great. Thanks.

this was my "big buck" solution... an oak 1x2 and some bricks...

depending on your weight, you may want to so the springs and valves at the same time..

You might check around on having the forks completely gone through.. Gixerhp did mine and a number of others guys here..

DSCN3663%20%28Large%29.JPG

- My bike is a 2006 and just hit 1100 (yes, eleven hundred) miles. It's not under warranty, but the guy was still trying to say that I did something wrong. He was asking me if I do alot of wheelies, or if it gets trailered alot. The front end has never come up an inch, and it was on a trailer once for thirty minutes when I first bought it.
- Anywho, to take off the forks, do I just loosen the bolt on the triple tree, and the two others down below it connected to the frame?

you just loosen the bolts in upper and lower triple trees and they slide right out.. (remove wheel etc of course)

Back