Changing Fork Seals

Flighty

Registered
I just bought my 03 Busa with only 15K on her but decided to bring her to the shop to get the once over. The guys at suzuki were actually pretty good point out a couple things I didn't know about the busa (originally had a gsxr-750 before this and a 1990 hurricaine before that). They did some basic maintence on her (stuff I could have done myself, but that's another story) and said the only issue they see is that my front forks are leaking.

I have changed the seals on my old CBR Hurricaine, not a big thing, so I say I can do that myself, but the guys starts telling me that the with Busa's inverted forks they are much harder to change out, said around 4-5 shop hours. When I did the CBRs forks I had time but not a lot of money. Now I don't have a whole lot of time and a little more money.

I guess long question short, how difficult is it to change the fork seals on her and does anyone have any good tips.

Cheers

Follow that link!!!! Just did mine last week following that how to, hardest part was supporting the bike and getting the forks out, i'd say tops at the very very most with alot of beer being consumed (me) about 2.5-3 hours

How'd you support yours?

Droid via Tapatalk

The eassiest and cheapest way to support it is a 5/8 steel rod through the frame and sit it on jack stands and then a little pressure up front with a floor jack or some wood blocks. You can do it yourself and get 100 miles of riding in before you can finish smoking the ribs on Memorial day.

The eassiest and cheapest way to support it is a 5/8 steel rod through the frame and sit it on jack stands and then a little pressure up front with a floor jack or some wood blocks. You can do it yourself and get 100 miles of riding in before you can finish smoking the ribs on Memorial day.

Ive done the rod through the frame while swapping my swingarm. Didnt think of that for the front.:thumbsup:

i put a floor jack under the bike and since i have a massive steel beam in my garage supported the bars via ratchet straps

4-5 hours?!!! They need some new techs.... Or just some management that doesn't feel the need to screw the customer. After I did the first one, I got the second one done in about 30 min. First one took me maybe an hour or so just cause I was going real slow and reading the manual over and over to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. I just used my front stand to support the bike. If you don't have a spring compressor for it I've seen a few different contraptions on this site that others have used with success. It's really not nearly as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. I was expecting it to be a lot harder than it was.

my left front is leaking as well, is it ok to change just that one or would it be best to change both lower seals?

is it safe to ride still?

Might as well do both, the rules say as soon as you get it back together the other one will go. I'd be kinda careful about riding it, when mine went it was leaking down over the brakes, wheel and running over onto the tire

Thanks guys, think I'll be changing the forks on my own. There looks to be no difference really. Inverted forks. They can go Bl0w themselves.

Fantastic write up. This forum is great, yet another reason to be a Busa owner!

my left front is leaking as well, is it ok to change just that one or would it be best to change both lower seals?

is it safe to ride still?

Do both. If one is bad, the other will be soon. One of mine started leaking and I let it go for a while cause I didn't have the money to replace them. Within a couple weeks the other one started leaking too. Just do them both and save yourself the aggravation.

Where is the best place to get the parts to do this? Also, (I should do my own research before I ask this) I've seen the use of a makeshift spring compressor, why is it not needed in this version?

As shown in the write up, you don't have to take apart the cartridge to replace the seals.

Where is the best place to get the parts to do this? Also, (I should do my own research before I ask this) I've seen the use of a makeshift spring compressor, why is it not needed in this version?

I've seen the use of a makeshift spring compressor, why is it not needed in this version?

Because somewhere along the way some old gray haired f art figured out a better mouse trap for the street rider without special tools. :thumbsup:

Back