Changes to posting videos

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Good Morning All,

Hey guys I wanted to let you know that the videos section is up and running and we have all the bugs worked out. A special thanks to Omslaw for staying up late and working on this project with me for the last few nights. Between the two of us we make 1 pretty good tech!

With this new area up there are changes, always changes...... The intent for this new script was to organize the videos in an area where you can go and see all the member submitted videos in one place. We have videos that have been embedded all over the site, what happens is over time those threads fade off and we see repeats and reposts and most of the content just gets mixed up and the thousands of post each week. Have you ever tried to search the forum for a specific video, it can take forever.

The new video section is now the only place where you can attach or embed videos, why did we do this, the answer is simple.

1. We wanted to combine the vids to one area
  2. Able to search and find older vids later
  3. You can rate videos
  4. You can still have discussions but they are now easy to find
  5. We can now use Vimeo, Vimeo HD, Youtube, Myspace, Flickr, MetaCafe, yahoo, google and many more video hosting services.

Here is a link to how to use this new area, LINK TO NEW AREA I put it up a few days ago and several folks have successfully used it. The new area is pretty self explainatory to use...

How it works:

Once you go to this new area to attach your videos to a video hoster like youtube or vimeo you just following the instructions on the link I provided above.. When you hit the submit button the video is added to the new video section and it also creates a new topic in the new Video Catagory on the forum. There isn't any difference in the new forum thread than what you have been used to when it comes to posting and commenting to a thread... If you want to go and just watch videos and rate them things like that then the new videos script would be the best.... There is a link on the navigation bar on the far right, (under your screen name on the top).

As always please let us know if we need more catagories to split out the videos for better organisation.

We have been testing this with tapatalk too and it works very nicely as well....

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas, guys we ultimately do this to make the site easier and better for everyone....

cap

Last edited:
Done. One suggestion: Is there anyway to add a 'full screen' button so the video will expand to full screen while in the .org, rather than having to go to the host site (i.e., youtube) in order to expand?

so the ones i added earlyer last week are gone...guess i need to redo them lol

so the ones i added earlyer last week are gone...guess i need to redo them lol

Yeah sorry Chris, We had to cut a few videos out early. We didn't like the behavior of the scripts and when I decided that we would have to make the changes we learned the existing videos would be lost. The good news, it only takes a few seconds to add each one...

cap

Done. One suggestion: Is there anyway to add a 'full screen' button so the video will expand to full screen while in the .org, rather than having to go to the host site (i.e., youtube) in order to expand?

Keith there is an option to allow full screen and it is turned on, you need to make sure that the link that you used was for a HD link.. I will check but I am pretty sure that with you tube and vimeo you have to add a 1 or something at the end of the link because by default the links are the lower resolution...

Another good thing about this new application is that it detects if the video you are trying to add has already been imported. If so you can't add it again.. this will help keep duplicates down..

cap

Keith there is an option to allow full screen and it is turned on, you need to make sure that the link that you used was for a HD link.. I will check but I am pretty sure that with you tube and vimeo you have to add a 1 or something at the end of the link because by default the links are the lower resolution...

Thanks for the advice!

When you are at youtube and you hit the share button a box pops up with the link, under that link there is a checkbox for HD, make sure you click that and you can see the link change and usually it will add a number at the end...

cap

Last edited by a moderator:
Back