Changes for police in my home state

Making this mornings news is new laws passed to allow Victoria Police, "shoot to kill" people driving vehicles as weapons. First state in the country.
Weird, stand in a public space wielding a knife and they can already shoot..
Go figure...

Police given shoot to kill powers under new pursuit policy
Makes sense...
With all the electronics on cars these days they should come up with something to disable and apply brakes to vehicles. I guess people would figure out how to disable that.

The Victorian cops really stuffed up on that 2017 indecent where that car was deliberately driven into pedestrians in a mall . The cops had several opportunities to stop the driver (known to police ) and failed to do so . Now , they want to be able to act on it officially , as they could of anyway before , if circumstance warranted , or as things escalated .

The Victorian cops really stuffed up on that 2017 indecent where that car was deliberately driven into pedestrians in a mall . The cops had several opportunities to stop the driver (known to police ) and failed to do so . Now , they want to be able to act on it officially , as they could of anyway before , if circumstance warranted , or as things escalated .
Couldn't of said it better. They really did cock it up

Speaking of cops, I was in Subway at the airport shopping centre getting a feed yesterday and two cops came in.
They both had pistols in side holsters.
It looked so odd . . . Our NZ cops have never been armed with guns up until recently, the CHCH mosque shootings escalated the need to arm the police.
They’ve carried guns in their vehicles in the past, but now openly wear them.
I know the Americans here will be shaking their head and laughing, but NZ has had no need to arm Police until now, we have been trying to avoid it for so long.

I dont laugh but it is strange to hear of other countries customs that are inherently different from ours. We have several cities where the civilians have been stripped of their right to carry firearms and several politicians are encouraging the war against guns.

Even more so, the lack of a cross country standard blows my mind as well.

Back